Three Monitors, Two Duplicate, One Extended

GraciousBassist

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
I am attempting to hook up a computer system that displays to two TVs that are not easily visible from the computer's home location. To make editing what is on the TVs easier I want to duplicate what is going to the TV onto a monitor that is secondary to the main monitor. To hook up to two TVs the HDMI is already going through one splitter and I want to avoid using multiple splitters for the set up. Is there a way to, without a splitter, make it so two of the graphics outputs display the same thing, while keeping one of them separate?

Edit:
I didn't make it extremely clear but the splitter going to the TVs in this setup is located away from the computer and has limited space to run cables and the space we have there is not quite capable of taking another cable because of the multitude of network cables running through the same space.

Solution
Well, if you have three outputs on your GPU, then you should be able to do it (one to each monitor). I wouldn't quote me on it though, but I have a sinking suspicion that you can do it either in your OS's (assuming Windows) screen management, or I believe that Nvidia, AMD, and Intel also include screen management functionality in their respective control panels.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well, if you have three outputs on your GPU, then you should be able to do it (one to each monitor). I wouldn't quote me on it though, but I have a sinking suspicion that you can do it either in your OS's (assuming Windows) screen management, or I believe that Nvidia, AMD, and Intel also include screen management functionality in their respective control panels.

Solution
As per above I'm not sure but you may be able to CLONE + extended via the video control panel (AMD/NVidia) but you'll have to experiment..

So just run two, separate HDMI cables. If necessary have an adapter. DP->HDMI adapters are inexpensive (make sure the male/female part is correct so DP(Male) to HDMI(female) then to M/M HDMI cable).

If the SPLITTER already works why change anything?

Multiple splitters?
Why would you have more than one?