Permanent freezes a few minutes after booting, sometimes.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
My computer has been permanently freezing for a while now, when it does it's always a few minutes after boot when I haven't really done anything yet, and both the screen and audio stop, the mouse and keyboard also stop registering inputs (I get this from the fact that the Caps Lock light doesn't light up when I press the button), to unfreeze my PC I have the force shutdown.

Here's what I have tried to far:
I swapped the motherboard twice,
Reset windows 4 times,
Updated all my graphics drivers,
Ran Memtest86 on my RAM (both together and separately) with no errors.

Specs:
FX-8350
Asrock 970 Pro3
Corsair H60
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB
GTX 1060 3GB
Corsair CX750M

If you have any ideas, I would love to here them.
I plan on switching a basic 500w PSU in to see if it does anything.

Reactions: Mihaijoacabine
Have you tried breadboarding the motherboard to isolate the problem? If you have an overclock, have you restored that to stock? Since the problem occurs in windows, have you performed any diagnostics on the system drive. Have you tried switching out the system drive?

Do you have a case speaker of a diagnostic display? If so are there any errors? Have you checked out the event logs when these problems occur?

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

I reset windows using the "Reset This PC" utility within Windows 10, and also reinstalled it after putting my third motherboard in, also, the second motherboard I used had the latest BIOS version (I think) which froze after every boot, not just intermittently like the other two did.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

I put the system together outside of the case which had all of the issues. There is no overclock. I have not done any diagnostics, do you know how/what I should do? I have not tried switching the drive. My first motherboard had a display on it but I don't remember there being any error codes when it froze.

Edit: I just ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic which showed no errors.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

If I remember correctly, these issues have been happening a while now, but they seem to be more frequent recently. However, I never really shut my computer down in the past, just put it to sleep and woke it up the next day, it was relatively recently that I started shutting it down everyday, so it's possible that the issue has been here the entire time but it only presents itself when the PC is actually booted.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

I have an SSD and HDD from two different manufacturers, I'm downloading the tools now and will reply when they're done testing.

As for CPU temperature, I don't know since the freezing isn't predictable enough to have the temperature monitor open when it happens, but when playing games it doesn't reach 70 degrees.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

I ran whatever tests the Samsung and Seagate tools can run and everything seems to be normal, but I did update my SSD firmware.

When this was done, was the system drive formatted (or did you save the old files)? There are various ways to determine which BIOS version that you have. I would suggest just going into the BIOS and checking it (write it down so you can compare it to the motherboard BIOS list).

If it gets to that point, just follow the breadboard instructions that I provided. There are three of them. But if you read through them, you will get the idea. And then you can follow the one that you prefer.

For the system drive, you can use the manufacturers diagnostic. The Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic is a good one. I've heard that HDDScan is good too.

I f you haven't already run Memtest, that is a good idea too.

The only thing that comes to mind that would result in instability at the boot up is the CMOS battery. If the battery is low, it can cause some really strange things. But primarily the indicators are a varying system time (which is sometimes difficult to see if it is being updated by the internet). The other major thing is that settings in the BIOS need to be reentered.

But if you are concerned, change it out. They are inexpensive (probably CR2032).

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Part of me doesn't want to say it's solved in case it's a bit premature, but the problem hasn't presented itself in about a week so I'll say what I did. As helpstar suggested, I ran SeaTools by SeaGate which presented an error when performing a long test on my secondary drive, after launching the SeaGate OS it kicked out a lot of errors that apparently couldn't be repaired, Windows Event Viewer also gave me a lot of Bad Block Disk Errors every now and again, so something's definitely up. I unplugged the SATA cable for this drive about a week ago and since then the freezing issue has gone away (I hope) so I'm gonna conclude that it was the drive causing problems, not sure why though, maybe it was damaged.

Can you print the errors or provide a screen shot. Perhaps I can help you out from the errors.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

Unfortunately, after a week of no issues, my computer froze again a few hours after my last update, which means it might not be the HDD after all since it was unplugged, although unplugging it did seem to increase the time between freezes. I have the HDD back in my system and I'll see what I can do about getting those error codes for you.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

I have been through the whole VRM overheating scenario, I have tested with a motherboard that has far better VRMs + heatsink and I already have a fan blowing onto them, I don't think they're overheating, sorry.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

I think it was the Gigabyte ga-970a-ds3p but I can't be 100% sure, but when I used this board the system would freeze 2 minutes after boot EVERY time, no matter what. So whatever the issue is it was worse with this board apparently.

jonathonveitch83

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018

The board I used was a 4+2 phase board, I couldn't remember the name but I knew it was Gigabyte so I just put the last board I searched in my reply. Anyway, I don't have another power supply but I think I'll buy a new one just to be safe.

Also, I remember reading a couple posts where people said you'd only need an 8+2 phase board when you're overclocking, and I have my CPU at stock speeds.

Well, it really depends on the quality of these VRMs and it´s always better to have more of them (6+1/2), especially with CPUs more than 95Watt. These FX CPUs are very power consumpting and therefore stress the boards very much. These can work with a good quality 4+1 or 4+2 board, but it´s more likely that it doesn´t run stable. So all I´m saying is, it´s a recommendation for the CPU you have and I think this is the problem in your case.

Next thing after the PSU replacement: eventually the CPU itself is faulty