Boot error with NEW SSD ** FAULTY SSD?? ** WEIRD crashes **

oneFISHtooFISH

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
I installed an upgraded SSD (samsung 860 EVO 250Gb) into my parents desktop computer about a week ago and installed a retail copy of windows 10. This week the computer has started to blue screen during normal usage saying that an application or file could not be loaded.

When trying to reboot the computer I get blue screen again showing error with FILE\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

SSD is then no longer detected in BIOS until I re seat the cables attached to the SSD within the chassis. Once I reseat cables I boot straight into windows with no issue so I run the reset option in windows 10 to re install windows and keep files as I believe there may be a problem with the boot manager due to seeing winload.exe error.

After running the reset in windows 10 this error still persist intermittently and I am unable to consistently recreate environment which causes the crash.

Please help, I am stuck.

UPDATE: Computer crashed with only firefox open running one tab. No video on screen, Power LED was not lit, fans still spinning inside computer, keyboard lights on and mouse powered. I turned off the power supply by the switch on the back and rebooted. Everything seems normal, my profile is still logged in and firefox still open with the one tab I was on.

I really don't understand any of this so any help is appreciated. Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Swap out the data and power cables to the SSD. May be a faulty cable involved.

How old is the desktop? Consider that the PSU may be degrading and becoming faulty.

The Event Viewer logs may have captured some error code or warning just prior to or at the time of the crashes. Check the logs accordingly.