RAID 0 Storage Size Increase

Mar 25, 2018
This has probably been answered multiple times but I have a question regarding RAID 0 in general.

Gigabyte 970a-ud3p
FX-4300
Two 60 GB Samsung SSD RAID 0 (Windows 10 Only)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB and WD 500GB Blue RAID 0 (Storage Only)

Looking to upgrade the WD 500GB to a Seagate Barracuda 1TB but keep the RAID functional and retain all data present within ongoing RAID.

How should I go about upgrading the old drive to the new drive and retain the data and RAID?

Can I just make a backup of the Storage RAID to a single drive, set up the new 2TB storage RAID, and then copy the data over somehow?

Thanks for the help everyone!! -Dane

USAFRet

Titan

"Looking to upgrade the WD 500GB to a Seagate Barracuda 1TB but keep the RAID functional and retain all data present within ongoing RAID. "

You can't do that in place, with a RAID 0.

Copy the entirety of the data off to something else.
Swap the drives.
Rebuild the RAID 0.
Copy the data back.

And a RAID 0 should never be run without a strong backup routine.

Mar 25, 2018
How would I go transferring the data back? Cloning? I thought about turning the WD 500GB into a parity drive but I'm not familiar with storage size requirements required for the parity drive nor which RAID # to choose. I chose RAID 0 for the slight performance boost; can you get a performance boost and have a parity drive?

USAFRet

Titan

No, NOT cloning. That would probably carry aspects of the original RAID info.
Copy JUST the data to something else.

Parity drive? That has nothing to do with a RAID 0.
Perhaps you're thinking of a RAID 5. That won't work either.
1TB + 1TB + 500GB + RAID 5 does not work.

IMHO, RAID 0 has little use in the consumer space.
Especially with SSD's...your OS drive.

Mar 25, 2018

Yeah that seems to be what I'm finding out reading around...I know that RAID 0 is a bit dangerous in terms of data retention/redundancy it was suggested for a bit of a boost in read and write times.
RAID is new to me and just experimenting....how would you get two storage drives together into a RAID and then make them easily swappable if one dies?

USAFRet

Titan

IN a RAID 0, there is no "swapping". If one dies or is removed, that's it.
All data in the entire RAID array is gone. There is zero redundancy in a RAID 0.

RAID 0 can boost the speed of HDD's.
But not SSD's. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

In most consumer level uses, RAID 0 is not really beneficial at all. Certainly not enough to warrant the maintenance hassle and risk of data loss.

My main system has 5 drives. No RAID in existence.
My NAS box is a RAID 5 (4 x 4TB HDD), but that's dedicated hardware and software.