New built computer, disk constantly at 100%?

Mar 12, 2018
Okay, i literally built this computer 2 days ago, ive pretty much only installed steam, benchmarking software and chrome (and my nvida drivers if that matters) and my disk is seemingly always at 100%. I have in use both a SSD and a HDD (Windows is on my SSD). Everytime i try to install steam games on the HDD i get corrupted disk and it stops downloading. But i can download games just fine to the SSD just fine. And if its worth anything i can seemingly download other things besides steam games to the HDD. is my HDD bad? ive already done all the typical steps to freeing up disk space such as disabling Windows search and superfech. For whats its worth i thought i could of some how gotten a virus from downloading one of like the only 5 things on my PC, so i downloaded malware bytes and ran a full scan and nothing detected. Please someone help me.

Solution
Seagate had a lot of reliability problems a couple of years ago I know, but I haven't been keeping up with them since I replaced my failing one with another brand. It sounds like Murphy has jumped on you with both feet. :( I don't know who you bought those components from, but maybe you need to find another vendor. I live close to a Micro Center store, so I've bought from them for the last 27 years, and have had good luck with them. I've bought some things with Amazon and had good luck with them as well. I tried another local store some years ago, and had awful luck with them, so I know how time consuming and frustrating that kind of experience can be.
Mar 12, 2018

Thats the thing, in processes it never says 100% it usually only says 50% disk. But if you go to performance it says 100% on disk

Double-click the DISK column header and it'll sort them with the busiest tasks at the top. The screen you captured was missing some of the tasks. Since you have two drives (C: and D: ) it appears that Task Manager is averaging the 100% of D: with the 2% of C: and coming up close to 50%. The laptop I'm using at the moment only has a C: drive, so I can't check that. It may be that it's only showing tasks for C: and you need to add one for D:, do you think? Also notice that the DISK column is showing MB/sec, not percentages. If you want percentages, you have to right-click the word DISK and go to the option for that.

Mar 12, 2018

It appears to be showing tasks from both because steam is installed on the D: drive, I sorted them from the busiest tasks at the top and put them in percentages and screen captured it https://imgur.com/a/EGTi4 (keep in mind that chrome with only 1 tab)

I replied here about an hour ago, but it didn't show up for some strange reason. It looks like Chrome is the culprit. Sometimes I have a browser do that and I just cancel it and start it back; then it usually behaves itself for several hours. I don't know why it happens, but it does happen from time to time. There's always Edge, IE, Firefox and other browsers.

Mar 12, 2018

actually im 85% sure my hdd is dying. i noticed on start up it was making rather loud noises, or i could just be paranoid. even thoughi just got it 2-3 weeks ago but due to technical difficulties (my original motherboard was DOA, so i had to wait 2-3 weeks for a new one via RMA) so i actually just got this computer working yesterday when i hooked up the new motherboard. i mean i could just be paranoid. but at the same time theres no way 2 parts would come defective right?

Mar 12, 2018

IM NOT CRAZY, IM NOT PARANOID IT IS BAD/DYING. i ran seagates seatools and it failed the SMART test

Seagate had a lot of reliability problems a couple of years ago I know, but I haven't been keeping up with them since I replaced my failing one with another brand. It sounds like Murphy has jumped on you with both feet. :( I don't know who you bought those components from, but maybe you need to find another vendor. I live close to a Micro Center store, so I've bought from them for the last 27 years, and have had good luck with them. I've bought some things with Amazon and had good luck with them as well. I tried another local store some years ago, and had awful luck with them, so I know how time consuming and frustrating that kind of experience can be.

Solution