Opinions about smartphones

Szucs Stefan

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Hello,

Hello,

I'm just looking to replace my 2 year Lumia 640 LTE as i would like to switch back to Android and was looking for something affordable but also with a nice screen and battery life. I'm not much of a gamer and i have eye sight problems and am a bit color blind so i'm not really looking for perfection but i found two phones the Asus Zenfone Max 4 and the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and they have similar specs and a few similarities yet i couldn't really decide on which one would be better.

Xiaomi has the FHD screen and an IR blaster if i ever feel fancy in bars or clubs and the Asus has longer battery life and nicer cameras.
I did use ZenUI 4 years ago in the first Zenfones and it was really nice but i heard the MIUI community is also really great and so is their interface. I'm mainly looking for something that i can use to read, listen to music and i will at most, make pics of my farm, every now and then oh and i'm using Discord, Steam Auth software and will probably play HayDay.

Could you please share your opinion on one or the other phone or even the brands when it comes to smartphones. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Steven

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
The Nokia changed owners, but still makes phones and already with android. The Nokia 5 is a nice device with fingerprint sensor and gorilla glass. Other good options are listed in this article with detailed tests: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Smartphones-under-160-Euros.137498.0.html
For a little extra cost there is the Samsung Galaxy A5 and Nokia 6 with 5GHz WLAN 802.11ac support.

Based on what you wrote your price range is sub $300 and besides good battery you want 1920x1080 display, decent sound and camera. The Xiaomi Mi A1 seems to be a good value in that category as well.

Szucs Stefan

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Hello,

Thank you a lot for the feedback. I did check the Nokia 5 and i wasn't really upset about the battery life but i was just not sure that its gonna be worth it, given that its cheaper. I personally started hating Samsung Galaxy phones since i used an Ace 2 and then a Galaxy S2 and they started lagging after a few updates and i couldn't get rid of them not even after resetting the OS.
I'll do some more research on the Nokia 5, it seems to have a really good price and i don't care much about the storage space, as long as its a nice build with a good enough battery.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

And it comes with a dedicated SD card slot.