Are certain programs disabled after a Unexpected Shutdown?

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
Basically, i recently upgraded to Windows 10 though since then, My computer has randomly been restarting completely, like it'll just completely crash and boot back up to BIOS. It's quite random though something I've noticed about it is that it never actually occurs again after a forced restart, it only ever seems to randomly restart again after I've shut my computer down for the night and turn it back on the next day, and once it's loaded back up again from a forced restart, it's perfectly fine.
So this gives me an idea that MAYBE something is being disabled such as a driver or program after the unexpected restart that is the cause of this problem. It's pretty much a wild guess though it makes sense to me.

I've suspected it to be drivers considering all of this only started after upgrading to Windows 10, though even after updating drivers such as graphics and chipsets, the problem is still there.
I've checked if it's possibly related to other things such as high CPU usage, temps too high but it really is random and doesn't seem to be related to any of those things, it sometimes even happens when I'm just browsing the internet.

So I was wondering if you think it's possible that something is being disabled or is this unlikely?

Solution
its possible one of your drivers doesn't like the new win 10 power modes.

I would turn off fast startup and see if it helps - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Ideally you shouldn't need to do this but if you are sure you have win 10 drivers for all devices, it might be best choice.

What Fast startup does is, instead of turning PC off when you press shutdown for night, it puts PC into a hybred hibernate, meaning when PC is restarted next day it boots much faster as drivers are already in ram. Turning it off will mean PC is actually off when turned off. With it on, the only time PC is actually off is during a restart which explains why restarts fix the problem for you currently.

Fast...

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible one of your drivers doesn't like the new win 10 power modes.

I would turn off fast startup and see if it helps - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Ideally you shouldn't need to do this but if you are sure you have win 10 drivers for all devices, it might be best choice.

What Fast startup does is, instead of turning PC off when you press shutdown for night, it puts PC into a hybred hibernate, meaning when PC is restarted next day it boots much faster as drivers are already in ram. Turning it off will mean PC is actually off when turned off. With it on, the only time PC is actually off is during a restart which explains why restarts fix the problem for you currently.

Fast startup is useful for HDD but if you have an SSD, you won't notice a difference with it off.

Solution

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

If this is the problem then would doing a fresh install of Windows 10 fix it? Since I was planning on fresh installing Windows 10 anyway to see if it fixes the issue.

And I'm not sure if I've updated all my drivers for windows 10 truthfully, I wasn't exactly sure what drivers to update so I just updated the graphics driver and installed the windows 10 drivers from here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/FM2-A55M-E33#down-driver&Win10%2064

Colif

Win 11 Master
its excessive. I would see if turning that off fixes it and then see if the slow down booting is worth a fresh install to fix.

restarts with no BSOD isn't normally a driver problem but your symptoms make me think it still could be.

What are specs of the PC?

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Radeon A8-6600K
GPU: GeForce GT 730
RAM: 8GB
Power Supply: Seasonic S12-II 520W 80+
Motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/FM2-A55M-E33/Overview

I'm not sure if it's related but the reason I did actually upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 was because I had an issue with deadlocks from Windows 8.1 though that was due to their recent security updates so I upgraded to Windows 10 since at the time, I basically avoided installing any security updates for 8.1

Colif

Win 11 Master
A fresh install might fix it if the problem is a left over from win 8. At least your motherboard has Win 10 drivers, even if it is just 3. Yes, the cause could well be an old win 8 driver.

fresh install helpers

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Seasonic PSU normally good so won't point any fingers at it for being cause. They not bullet proof but pretty close.

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

Thank you for the help, So I should instead just fresh install instead of testing if disabling fast boot fixes it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
test it first, its much faster to turn that off than clean install everything again.
it takes 2 seconds to change, i turn mine on and off depending on weather
right click start
choose power options
in right column, choose additional power options under Related Settings
in next window, pick "Choose what the power button does:
click "Change settings that are currently unavailable
untick Turn on Fast Start-up" and save changes

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

Well truthfully it'd be faster to fresh install windows 10 since like I said, it never seems to happen again till I turn my computer off for the night and turn it back on so I'll have to wait till tomorrow either way.
And yea, I have tried just shuting it down and turning it back on but so far it hasn't restarted again if I do that so it seems to only work if my computer is shut down for a long period and then turned back on.

It might just be that I was just lucky with it not restarting again after quickly shutting it down and turning it back on though.

Also if the turning off fast boot fixes the issue, what would I do then? Would I just leave fast boot off?

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

Well I fresh Installed Windows 10 but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the issue.