PC Upgrade Help/Advice

aag65

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
Hello everyone reading this forum threat. I'd like to ask the community for some advice and help. Basically I'm looking to upgrade a few hardware components on my PC and I would like suggestions on what parts to get.

The upgrades: motherboard, RAM, processor

The current build:

Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H77

Processor: Intel core i5-3450, 4 core 3.1 GHz

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

Graphics card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 DirectX 12 GV-N1050G1 GAMING-2GD 2GB 128-
Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Series 600 Watt 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Active PFC Industrial Grade ATX

HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

A couple things to keep in mind:
- I have a budget, so the RAM, motherboard and processor ideal;y need to be around $100-$200 each.
- I do not have a disk of the Win10 OS, a friend gave me hers to upgrade from Win7.
- I am highly into video games.

A few questions:
- What happens if I upgrade my motherboard and processor? Will I need to reinstall Win10 after I'm done or will everything go smoothly?
- If I do need to reinstall Win10 I'll probably have to get a disk from somewhere or burn the copy my friend gave me onto a disk huh?

Thank you everyone for your help. If I have any more questions I'll post them as the threat develops. I appreciate all the advice the community is about to write and look forward to seeing what I'm going to work with.

Honestly, your CPU is not a dinosaur just yet. I would hang on to it. Even if you get a new high end CPU, your GPU will hold you back quite a bit. The GPU has a much bigger impact in gaming performance over a CPU.

I would keep your current setup and look at getting a 1060 6gb GPU. You can get that cheaper than an entire platform upgrade and you will see a much bigger improvement in your gaming than you would with a new CPU/RAM/Mobo.

If you really want a new CPU, then I would look at getting a used 3770. It will give you a boost in some CPU heavy titles. Additionally, I have never heard of your PSU and that is not a good sign. All PSUs are not created equal. A faulty PSU can damage your system. You may want to look at a quality PSU from EVGA, Corsair, or Seasoinc. 550 watts would be plenty.

aag65

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

Will an upgrade from 1050 to 1060 GPU really be that big of an improvement?

Jamie_69

Respectable
Dec 20, 2016

PC Power & Cooling made some great PSUs, you must be new to the PC world if you haven't heard of them. I haven't seen anything from them in the mainstream for a few years though. They got bought out by OCZ about 10 years ago but no idea who has since acquired their business.

Yeah, if you go for the 1060 6gb. You will be able to play any AAA title at high settings at 1080p and get 60fps with your current rig.

aag65

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

Really? I feel like my processor gets in the way of that though

On a side note, if I was to upgrade to a 1060, which card would I get? I need 2 HDMI slots on the back since I use those for chords to my monitors.