Windows 10 clean install on new SSD won't boot

Mar 28, 2018
Hello! Here's the story, I bought an SSD to replace the HDD on my desktop computer, this is my first time so I tinkered around with just moving the files, but wound up deciding to clean install Windows 10 on the SSD. So I downloaded the ISO, created installation media on a thumb drive, connected the thumb drive and the SSD to the PC and disconnected the HDD, and booted to the thumb drive. Windows Setup popped up, I went through the necessary steps to install on the new SSD, and everything works dandy until I get to the part where it restarts the PC. By default, it just boots up the thumb drive at the beginning of Windows Setup again. So I go into the BIOS to manually boot to the SSD, and it's not a UEFI boot option. It shows up in the SATA configuration menu, so I know it's connected properly, but for some reason it won't boot. The SSD is the SanDisk Ultra II and the Motherboard is the ASUS G11CD, BIOS version 0802 x64. Thanks in advance for the help!

Solution

Is there anyway you can get us a screenshot of those boot menus? There's probably a place where you can set which storage should be in the bootable options?
Mar 28, 2018

No, that just boots to the BIOS. Normally, from the BIOS, I can manually choose what storage device I want to boot to, but the BIOS doesn't recognize the SSD as a bootable option.

Mar 28, 2018

Is there anyway you can get us a screenshot of those boot menus? There's probably a place where you can set which storage should be in the bootable options?

Solution
Mar 28, 2018

Yeah, there is, and when I connected my old HDD or the USB stick it would list those as options, but not the new SSD. I figured it out I think, just wound up buying a Samsung SSD from best buy, worked first time. Must have been something wrong with the SanDisk one, kinda weird. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS