Same Windows install running from two drives

Mar 28, 2018
I used to have Windows installed on a HDD at first and then my friend gave me an SSD so I figured I'd use that as my boot drive instead. So a while ago I tried moving my Windows install onto the SSD using a program, it's been a while so I forget the name, but ever since then it seems like the same version of Windows is running from both the HDD and SSD. If I try to remove the SSD, Windows refuses to boot and gives me errors. If I try to remove the HDD, I get the same kinds of errors and it still won't boot. I tried reinstalling Windows using the option in settings that keeps my files and that didn't work, and just last night as a last resort I used the option to completely remove everything, wipe the drive and reinstall, and that didn't work either. I don't really know what other options I have to fix this, I feel like I've tried everything.

Solution

Not an 8.1 disc, not a Win 10 Recovery disk...a brand new Win 10 install, built with the MediaCreation tool...
Mar 28, 2018

I've tried using my original Windows 8.1 install disc to do just that and I've also tried putting a Windows 10 recovery install on a USB flashdrive and both methods wouldn't work, for some reason the options to wipe and reinstall were not showing up. I would get the option to fix the boot or startup, or whatever that option was, but trying to use it always resulted in errors.

USAFRet

Titan

Not an 8.1 disc, not a Win 10 Recovery disk...a brand new Win 10 install, built with the MediaCreation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Read the link I posted earlier.
See Section II, Step 6 & 7 for how to delete all existing partitions.

Solution
Mar 28, 2018

I feel like I've tried that as well but I'm not sure. I'll try it out and get back to you, thanks

EDIT: This was the perfect solution and everything is all good now, thanks so much. I have used the media creation tool as a solution but I never used the advanced option to delete the existing partitions, I never knew that was a feature for advanced install. Thanks a lot for the quick response and solution. Saved me so much