Storage spaces Parity failed

john090

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hi, I recently setup storage spaces on windows 10. I selected storage spaces as I have an AMD MB. I set it up in Parity mode as I have 3 4TB disks and I would get 8TB of storage and allow one disk to fail.
A few days ago one of the disks failed. I was writing to the space and I don't know what happened but now one of the disks is unreadable. It was also preventing my pc from booting. I disconnected each drive to find which one was stopping the pc from booting. I found the disk and when it is disconnected my pc boots.
No I still have 2 disks attached to the storage space, but the 3rd disk is also listed there with a warning beside it even though it is not connected. I have added a new drive to the pool and selected remove the faulty disk. It then says preparing for removal and that's it, nothing happens. I have no progress bar and nothing changes. I have left my pc running for 2 days and there is no change.
I thought I'd be able to connect a new disk to the storage space and be able to retrieve my data but nothing is happening.
I hope someone can help

Solution

It might be a fail on the raid setup, software raiding is usually not a great set up because it is more prone to failure, wait for a more knowledgeable source before confirming this.

john090

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
I'm using Windows storage spaces which to the best of my knowledge is a software raid of sorts. I set it up in parity mode which is similar to a hardware raid 5. This allows one of my 3 disks to fail. Now that one has I can't recover my data even after I added a new disk to the pool. I still have 2 good disks attached so in theory my data is recoverable but I can't access it.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

It might be a fail on the raid setup, software raiding is usually not a great set up because it is more prone to failure, wait for a more knowledgeable source before confirming this.

Solution