Help with Packet Loss

Mar 31, 2018
Hey all, not sure if this is the right category (network providers) but that's the closest thing to my problem. So about mid January (nearly 3 months ago...) I noticed a slightly bad packet loss problem. Back then, it was very mild and I thought it was only the 1 or 2 games I play (LoL and whatever else). This problem, however, has persisted up until today, and not only did not go away, it actually seems to get slightly worse every week. I have tried contacting my ISP 2 times and both times they said that the problem is on my side. This sort of makes sense because my brother has absolutely no problems on his computer in terms of packet loss or connectivity. The only thing I can think of is my father at around the same time got an Apple Airpod and we're connected through that, although he has much faster internet now, but we still have our router and I tried connecting my ethernet cable through that but the problem did not go away.
Another problem I've had since forever is that I have a wired internet via ethernet cable, and I get a maximum of 40-50 mbps download speed, whereas my father gets around 100 mbps download on his laptop (so obviously wireless), which doesn't really add up. My room is upstairs and I use a NetGear ethernet adapter which supports up to 1200 mbps download speed.
Sorry for having like 2-3 problems in 1 post, hopefully someone can at least help me on the packet loss / internet problem, as 50 mbps speed is still okay I'm just not sure as to why my father has a faster wireless download downstairs. Thanks so much!

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
It sounds like a faulty Ethernet Cable. Try another one and see if you get the same speeds.
As for the WiFi connection, if it's a USB adapter, try a USB Extension Cable to move it away from computer and see if it improves your signal. If the packet loss is local (between your computer and the router) this should alleviate most of it unless there's a lot of metal ducting between the computer and the router. Also, 5GHz WiFi Signalling isn't as strong as 2.4GHz. Try setting up both types of networks on your router and run some tests to see if it's improved either way.

Now, if the packet loss is outside of your local network, I'd suggest adjusting your modems MTU setting down to 1250 or 1200. This may improve the issue, but you may have very slightly reduced maximum sustained transfer rates on downloads/uploads.