Google Login Crash Chrome and Firefox

Mar 31, 2018
Ok, this is a weird problem I don't even know how to search for.

Problem: attempting to login to any google page on either chrome or firefox results in a crash, regardless of the google service. I have reset the settings on Chrome and Firefox, uninstalled/reinstalled both, but it doesn't have any effect. I've tried Chrome canary and it does the same thing. I've tried browser safe modes (now I don't remember if I've tried Windows safe mode, I'll do that after this post and add an edit). This problem has been ongoing for at least a few months.

There are a couple other weird things. 1) I can access all google services through my University of Arizona login portal, regardless of what browser I'm using. 2) I can login to google services using Microsoft Edge; the same services that make chrome and firefox crash.

I'm using a lenovo ideapad 320. Windows 10 home, most current version as of 3/31/18. I'm not sure what other info to include. Any ideas?

Mar 31, 2018
I don't think it's that kind of issue. To (attempt to) clarify, I log in using my university credentials at catmail.arizona.edu, which basically logs in to google services for me, even though my emails address ends in @arizona.edu. Most google services are automatically attached to that email address, and I can access all of them (calendar, keep, drive, etc.) as long as I login through the university first. In the past I was able to log out of my school account or switch google accounts and log in to an email address ending in @gmail.com. At some point within the last several months, I was no longer able to do that. Now, whenever I attempt to access any google service that requires I use a google login page or pop-up, firefox/chrome crashes. As if the google login form itself is what causes the crash. But not with Edge. Super weird.

Also, this happens regardless of which network I'm on (at home, at the university, at a friend's house).

Mar 31, 2018
Yeah, I uninstalled/reinstalled/updated browsers. No issues with my university account, I have full access to all my google services through that. I can't login to my other google accounts with those browsers. The issue is with an interaction between google's login form and two of my three browsers (read above). Google's login is literally the only thing that consistently makes these browsers crash. Every other google website works fine.