Looking to upgrade cpu

KnightZ

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
I currently have an Athlon x4 760k with 4gbx2 gskill ripjaws ddr3 on a Msi A78-E35.
I have the budget to change MB RAM and CPU ($500-600). I just have no clue on what i should upgrade to, Hopefully you can all help me on deciding what to upgrade to.

Well I have no clue on what to tell you to upgrade to because you haven't described to me what you'd like to do with the CPU. Though if it were me... Personally. I'd go with something similar to this.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FsZHhy
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FsZHhy/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($347.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 LED 66.3 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($103.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $576.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-31 22:31 EDT-0400

It only has 8GB of RAM though but rather than cut down on CPU I'd choose to upgrade the RAM later.

I like the 8700K with a Z370 board.

I would be just fine with an 8600K unless I was a Youtuber or had other tasks where productivity is the priority. If that is the case you've made a good choice. If you only game, brows, movies, music, stream to Twitch etc. and the like the 8600K has you covered. The extra $100 premium isn't justified if this will be a gaming rig. The 6 cores and threads it's got the power and efficiency to occasionally moonlight as an editing rig.

I wouldn't set myself up for a possible fail. RAM is sold in kits for a reason. I and many others have fielded questions here on Tom's about the user buying identical RAM to what they were currently using and it doesn't work. WHY!:( Most of the time it will work not always. I'm not going to try my luck when I double my RAM amount. I have 8GB and it's not even touching 6GB RAM usage. RAM sold in kits have been tested to ensure compatibility. Buying some now and later is a chance you shouldn't take. I'd choose the 16GB(2x8GB) route to be safe.

I would instead look to the Cryorig H7. It cools a little better and won't have RAM clearance issues the 212 can sometimes cause. The push fan get's real close to or blocks the first RAM slot. I chose Kingston Hyper FuryX RAM which are low profile and it does get close.
WIN_20160728_16_32_31_Pro.jpg
. I use and like my 212 Evo with an extra fan but these days I would look to the Cryorig H7 if I were building my rig and didn't have the 212.

I like the 8700K with a Z370 board.

I would be just fine with an 8600K unless I was a Youtuber or had other tasks where productivity is the priority. If that is the case you've made a good choice. If you only game, brows, movies, music, stream to Twitch etc. and the like the 8600K has you covered. The extra $100 premium isn't justified if this will be a gaming rig. The 6 cores and threads it's got the power and efficiency to occasionally moonlight as an editing rig.

I wouldn't set myself up for a possible fail. RAM is sold in kits for a reason. I and many others have fielded questions here on Tom's about the user buying identical RAM to what they were currently using and it doesn't work. WHY!:( Most of the time it will work not always. I'm not going to try my luck when I double my RAM amount. I have 8GB and it's not even touching 6GB RAM usage. RAM sold in kits have been tested to ensure compatibility. Buying some now and later is a chance you shouldn't take. I'd choose the 16GB(2x8GB) route to be safe.

I would instead look to the Cryorig H7. It cools a little better and won't have RAM clearance issues the 212 can sometimes cause. The push fan get's real close to or blocks the first RAM slot. I chose Kingston Hyper FuryX RAM which are low profile and it does get close.
WIN_20160728_16_32_31_Pro.jpg
. I use and like my 212 Evo with an extra fan but these days I would look to the Cryorig H7 if I were building my rig and didn't have the 212.