HDMI/DP to dual-link DVI

imrazor

Distinguished
I have an ancient, but still gorgeous, 30" Dell 3007WFP monitor. Its main problem is a lack of inputs. It only has one dual-link DVI input that supports resolutions up to 2560x1600.

I recently got a new Dell pre-built with an RX 580. However, this GPU only has DP and HDMI outputs. What are my options for an adapter? Does it have to be an active adapter?

For now, I've put in my old MSI GTX 970 with a dual-link connector. The 970 performs almost as well as the 580, but only has 4GB of framebuffer vs the 580's 8GB.

Solution

If you're used to 2560×1600, I don't think so, it's a pretty big step down.

The UP2516D is about $350 on Amazon, which is pretty good for a monitor of that spec. It isn't exactly cheap but it's a decent...

The link states up to "2560x1440" at 60Hz. Not 2560x1600.

That's confusing since DVI-DL is rated for up to 2560x1600@60Hz so it's possible that's a mistake since 2560x1440 is a common resolution.

*several reviewers with 2560x1600 monitors say it doesn't work for them

It's common practice to advertise 16:9 resolutions; there are a lot of adapters that list maximum 1920 x 1080 for example, but actually support 1920 x 1200 as well.

At least one reviewer reported that it worked at 2560 x 1600 so the adapter seems to support it; likely other factors interfering with the other reviewers that tried. One reports it wasn't working at any resolution, so it wasn't an issue with the adapter not supporting 2560 x 1600.

Like I said, these adapters aren't very reliable, but they are the only option that could potentially work, so... there it is.

NONE of the cheap adapters seem to work with a 2560x1600 monitor, but spending $100 or more doesn't seem a great idea.

Not sure what to recommend.

*While not cheap, for about $500USD an awesome gaming monitor for you would be something like this FREESYNC, 144Hz, IPS monitor:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqp323/acer-monitor-xf270hu

You can also buy a compatible card to drive your current monitor as a secondary (non-gaming) monitor. Like this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rtnG3C/msi-video-card-gt7101gd3hlp

imrazor

Distinguished
Thanks for the suggestions. Spending $100 on an adapter does seem excessive. So does spending $500 on a gaming monitor. I'm not into competitive shooters, so I don't really need 144 fps frame rates. I doubt I could hit those kind of frame rates @1440p without a 1080 or Vega anyway.

I already have a 1050 Ti that I could use to drive the Dell monitor if I wanted to, but I don't have enough desk space for two big monitors. However, I also have a Macbook Pro that I'd like to hook up, and of course it only has mini-DisplayPort and HDMI. So that would be two $100 adapters I'd have to get. And the USB ports on the Dell monitor are fried.

The 30" 1600p display has spoiled me. I guess I'd like a >25" 60Hz IPS display at 1440/1600p. While I'm not totally opposed to 16:9 I generally prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio. Any suggestions? May have to wait until the next paycheck...

Dell UP2516D is what I use, 25" 1440p wide gamut monitor, usually around $400. You can find cheaper ones too if standard gamut is enough.

Unfortunately 2560 × 1600 is quite rare these days :( There are a few 30" models out there but they are insanely expensive.

Just FYI:
1) with GSYNC or FREESYNC working there's no need to be able to maintain an FPS that matches the refresh rate. Those monitors can adjust their refresh cycle to match the output of the graphics card, so for example if you're at 60FPS average from the GPU the monitor is also at 60Hz average.

Additionally even if it was just a normal, synchronous monitor you can always disable VSYNC. A game at say 50FPS average might have very little obvious screen tearing (the main issue with VSYNC OFF) when the monitor is refreshing at a much higher rate than the FPS.

2) A new monitor should also have better color, response time (to reduce ghost/blur) etc but comparing based on raw specs would be very difficult.

3) If a good ADAPTER is hard to justify, and a new monitor is as well then what options do you have? Will you get a cheap adapter with the hope it works?

I suppose $30 to $50 isn't a bad gamble, but if that fails then what?

4) re: MacBook Pro
You currently have only ONE DVI-D input to your 30" monitor correct?
If so then what's the point of buying two adapters anyway if there's only one monitor connection?

In theory you could get a simple, mechanical DP switch where you press a button and it switches from the PC to the laptop DP outputs. So:
a) PC-> DP-> DP switch
b) Laptop-> DP-> DP switch
c) DP switch-> DVI adapter

*BUT finding a quality switch then adding that to an adapter plus cables could easily end up causing issues with the signals so it's not a great idea.

So unfortunately a new MONITOR is the only thing that really makes sense for this. Again, IMO the best monitor for you has these specs:
- Freesync
- 144Hz+
- IPS
- 2560x1440 (2560x1600 isn't available with all the other specs)

imrazor

Distinguished
@Glenwing I looked at that monitor earlier, but the price put me off a bit. Under the circumstances it might be my best option.

@photonboy I currently have a DL-DVI mechanical switch for the monitor that works pretty well. That's why I mentioned getting a 2nd mini-DP->DL-DVI adapter for the Macbook. But they're also ~$100. I appreciate the monitor suggestion but $500 is a bit out of my price range. I did see a Dell 27" 1080p monitor Freesync monitor for sale for ~$189. Do you think Freesync would be worth sacrificing 1440p?

If you're used to 2560×1600, I don't think so, it's a pretty big step down.

The UP2516D is about $350 on Amazon, which is pretty good for a monitor of that spec. It isn't exactly cheap but it's a decent value for what it is. Unfortunately there's a pretty big price jump to move up to 144 Hz monitors with the same 1440p resolution and IPS panel type.

Solution