PC cannot read the updated/new files of external hard drives

Apr 1, 2018
Let me describe the problem clearly :

a) The external disk has for example the folders 1,2,3,4.
b) I connect the external disk to PC1, i delete the folder No4 and i copy paste folder No5 from the internal hard disk of PC1.
c) I run chkdsk on the external hard drive to be sure it has no errors. The chkdsk shows no errors. All working fine.
d) I return home and connect the external hard disk to PC2. The folders i must see are 1,2,3 and the new No5.
e) The folders i see are 1,2,3,4,5. The deleted folder 4 is shown as non deleted. It cannot be accessed though. Also the new folder 5 that i copied from PC1 now says that it contain errors. On PC1 it didn't contain errors after running chkdsk. On PC2 suddenly the chkdsk shows errors.

It's like PC2 cannot read the updated components of the external hard disk and remembers the last state of the external hard disk before it was safely removed. Sometimes if i restart PC2 it realizes that the folder 4 is non existent any more and correctly doesn't show it. But the problem with the new folder 5 remains and i must correct the errors in order to access the folder.

I post the problem here in the section of Windows 10 as i didn't have this problem the last years when i was using Windows 8.1 on both PCs. Maybe just a coincidence, maybe not. I also don't post it on the hard disks section because all my external hard disks work fine on other computers. I also have run the Seagate tools many times to check for errors and all my external hard disks are fine.

You are moving between users on different systems and each user is keeping ownership of the folders.
Even though you might be the owner of both computer Windows does not see it that way.

You could take full ownership of the folder and then try editing or deleting from PC #2.
Follow the steps on -> this guide to take ownership of files and folders

Apr 1, 2018
Jojesa, thank you for your answer. I ll follow the guide. So if i want to transfer for example the folder A from PC1 to PC2 and backwards the procedure must be :

PC1 folder A -> action to take full ownership -> copy to the external hard disk-> transfer to PC2 -> PC2 folder A -> action to take full ownership -> copy to the external hard disk-> transfer to PC1.

Right?

The truth is that on PC1 i had recently problems with administrator rights when i was trying to print documents. I was giving the command to print but nothing was happening. Then i search for a solution and i read that a solution was to give full privileges to the folder "temp" in
c->users->myname->appdata. I did that and fixed the problem with printing. Sometimes i have to do it again because for some reason the temp folder forgets the security settings i have given.

I mention the problem with the printer because from your answer i understand that i have again a problem with ownership and file handling. I don't know why this is happening with Windows 10. I am the administrator on both PCs. Anyway i will follow your advice and hope i ll resolve the problem.