Windows 10 Pro 64 bit UEFI (bitlocker) refuses to use Hardware Encryption on Samsung EVO 960 (OS drive)

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hello, it's been already two days since I began the battle to force BitLocker to use hardware encryption on my Samsung EVO 960 500GB NVMe SSD.

I know in 100% my Windows is capable of it, because i can enable it, without any issues, if EVO 960 is non-OS drive.

The issues start when I attempt to make it my OS drive.

This is the guide i followed: http://www.ckode.dk/desktop-machines/how-to-enable-windows-edrive-encryption-for-ssds/ but steps are pretty much same in various places:

* Have OS on other physical disk than EVO 960
* Have drive in uninitalised state (diskpart clean)
* Install Samsung Magician, in data security switch "Encrypted drive" to "ready to enable"
* In Secure Erase create bootable tool
* Reboot PC, launch Secure Erase
* After secure erase, reboot PC and go straight to bios, set bios to UEFI boot only, enable secure boot, load default keys, set to Windows UEFI, disable CSM (compatability mode)
* Reboot PC and start Windows install in UEFI mode
* When install done, enable BitLocker for non-TPM systems (gpedit.msc), verify that system is in UEFI mode (msinfo32)
* Attempt to enable drive encryption with BitLocker

And this is where issue happens, every time i redo every step on the list (including PSID reset so every time i Begin drive encryption is disabled and i switch it to "ready to enable") BitLocker like a stubborn idiot offers me only Software encryption (the dreaded screen where it asks wheter i want to encrypt whole drive or just used space).

I know 100% that my system and my drive support Hardware Encryption because if i boot from secondary drive with Windows on it and then plug in my NVMe drive i can enable HW encryption on it without issue -> but this way im unable to install OS on it afterwards.

I tried countless times to redo it, i tried to create only one partition (+ 3 UEFI required) or split my disk into two partitions.

It (BitLocker) simply refuses to use HW encryption. Help.