WHat should I be looking for work?

dyno_05

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
After doing a electrical apprentiship and then getting kicked out for no reason. I did some courses for it also. What should I be I look for now. Im looking for something easy to do. Im not very good in academics. Im pretty good with computers, just self tought stuff, that doesn't mean anything really.
I looked throu indeed jobs and they all seem to need some sort of experience and degree. I only have experience in labor work and a bit of construction. I am currently doing labor work, it's easy but min wag is pissing me off thou I get full time. I was considering just doing retail since labour work will hert me when I get older but how seeing alot of retail stores getting shut down I have turn away from it and they usally just hire part time. I kinda want something that will keep me for life. im a small tech nerd who struggles doing most things.

Solution
For the most part, finding jobs is mostly a matter of looking at employment ads and online listings. Or making contacts via family and friends helping you find other opportunities. However, you must have some interim idea about what you would "like to do". That idea can and will change. Must start somewhere.

There are few easy jobs (of any sort) that pay well. And most of those jobs are probably given to family members or politically connected "associates".

In theory pay level is tied to risk, unique skill sets and demand for those skills, or your ability to make lots of money for someone else. Legally. (Do not go to the dark side.)

Will concede that there any number of unfair exceptions - first responders immediately come...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I assume you are looking for a job in IT? And when you say electrical do you mean commercial wiring?

That gives you a good grounding (pun not intended) in basic mathematics and logic. These apply well to computer related jobs. Most things are order of operation. 1) Is it plugged in 2) Turned on 3) Logged in etc, basic steps the user might not think of that is causing their problem.

Entry level IT jobs are usually things like computer setup and delivery. The complex technical work is already done and you are just physically setting up or moving computers, performing hardware replacements, and maybe things like memory upgrades or hard drive swaps. Alternatively there are help desk positions where you troubleshoot over the phone. That means dealing with people who are already not in a good mood and getting them to go through tedious steps to attempt to resolve an issue.

#1 skill needed for IT work is clear communication, so all the grammatical errors in your paragraph would turn you away from most IT positions.

Fastest growing industries in the IT world are Cyber Security, networking, and SaaS type work. Lots of people hiring full time support staff for online products that end users use, basically system administrator that doesn't involve hardware troubleshooting, just configuration.

If you are asking after general career advice, you might want to try a local Community College or other educational institution. They might be able to steer you towards a career that better covers your skillset.

dyno_05

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Yes all sorts of wireing. We did low voltage stuff since i was just starting off. I did some electrical theory classes for collage. Thou i learned that electric shock can be dangres. There alot of electricians out there they seem to be fine.
Ill look into IT. I know how to build computers and stuff so it's not to hard for me to set them up for people and I know how to follow instructions for programing and insulation for programs. I was never very strong in English and math but I managed to get thru collage.
Wondering if there is something easy to get into like how easy it is to get in like labor that actually pays well.

Ralston18

Titan
There is no easy labor that pays well.

What pays well is being able to work hard and work long hours doing something that few others can do.

Overall, if a potential employer believes that you can do the job then you have a good chance to be hired.

However, potential employers also look for people who will be "good" employees. Reliable, trustworthy, willing to step up and do extra work when needed. Team players who will not be too much of a hassle for co-workers and managers.

And yes: communication skills are very important.

There will always be trade-offs. So be ready to do so. E.g., your ideal job means you may need to work night shift somewhere. At least to start out....

dyno_05

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
I didn't say a easy labor job. I asked a easy job that pays well in general. IDK I want to see what some options are. I don't want something that is painfully hard.
The current job I got I did go throu a agency then got hired so I have benefits now thou getting min wage. Atleast min wage here in canada has risen to $14 even thou are dolor not good. I think it's going up a buck in the next year. It's still not do able for a tech nerd living on his own that is why I live with family. Everything is so expensive it's getting scary.

Ralston18

Titan
For the most part, finding jobs is mostly a matter of looking at employment ads and online listings. Or making contacts via family and friends helping you find other opportunities. However, you must have some interim idea about what you would "like to do". That idea can and will change. Must start somewhere.

There are few easy jobs (of any sort) that pay well. And most of those jobs are probably given to family members or politically connected "associates".

In theory pay level is tied to risk, unique skill sets and demand for those skills, or your ability to make lots of money for someone else. Legally. (Do not go to the dark side.)

Will concede that there any number of unfair exceptions - first responders immediately come to mind. Much risk, low pay.

The road to "easy" is "hard". Work, more work, sacrifice, pain, trade-offs.

And it is scary in many ways.

The hoped for best is to be able to strike a balance between yourself, your family, and your work.

There may be a few times when things cannot or will not be balanced. Keep those times short. "Short" being subjective.

Make a list of your priorities. Be specific as you can. Set goals within those priorities and what trades-offs will be needed to achieve the goals. Be open minded, expect a few "failures" especially if you go out of your comfort zones. Sometimes you can and may wish to try again. Do so.

Keep the list straight forward and as quantifiable as possible. And the list will change and evolve.

Anyone can be a marksman if there is no target. Easy is no target.

Solution