Build setup help

Apr 3, 2018
I have an Acer Aspire E5-474G laptop (1366x768)(added 4gb ram) and planning to use a 24-inch external monitor (1920x1080). Theoretically, would things work out perfectly? Any issues that I need to worry about? Main uses are gaming (league, overwatch) and work (microsoft office, photoshop, revit).

Solution
I doubt about the 1080p gaming. Maybe at the lowest settings and even then it depends on the game. 920M is a very low end GPU. Even some integrated graphics processors outperform it, such as Intel Iris 540. Just give it a try, if it's too choppy, just switch to your laptop screen.
I used to do the same back when I had a laptop. Gamed on native screen and used creativity apps on a secondary 1080p display.

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
Tried to look up your laptop on Google, but it throws out various models.
As for your question, yes, it will work. Just hook up the monitor to your laptop with an HDMI cable. You can use it as external or even set up dual screen. This should help you further - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-connect-and-set-multiple-monitors-windows-10
As for your use cases, if your laptop only has integrated graphics, I doubt you'd get decent frames using the 1080p panel, even if you lower settings in the game. As for the other programs you mentioned - they will work fine, no issue there.

Apr 3, 2018

I have Geforce 920m.

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
I doubt about the 1080p gaming. Maybe at the lowest settings and even then it depends on the game. 920M is a very low end GPU. Even some integrated graphics processors outperform it, such as Intel Iris 540. Just give it a try, if it's too choppy, just switch to your laptop screen.
I used to do the same back when I had a laptop. Gamed on native screen and used creativity apps on a secondary 1080p display.

Solution