Reactivating OEM OS After Hardware Upgrade

WTAnderton

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
About a year and a half ago I built a custom gaming PC by buying all of the hardware and software I needed. Since then I have been saving up my money to buy all of the parts needed to upgrade the system and within the next couple of days I should be getting my last shipment in. I will be upgrading the RAM (from DDR3 16GB to DDR4 16GB), the CPU (from an FX-8350 to a Ryzen 1700), and the motherboard (from an MSI 970 Gaming to an Asus ROG STRIX X370-F Gaming). Before I set about upgrading my computer, I have run into one potential issue that I would greatly appreciate a current answer on.

When I bought a copy of Windows 10, I bought a digital OEM version since it was the cheaper option than a full retail copy. However, there is a lot of information out there that if you upgrade the computer's hardware, especially the motherboard, the OEM license is then considered invalid. However, where the conflicting information comes in is that some people are suggesting that with one of the recent versions of Windows 10 (1607 and later, I think) there is now a simple-to-use Reactivation system, and that this system does allow for OEM licenses to be reactivated.

For further clarification, I did not buy an OEM PC. I built the PC from individual parts but bought an OEM version of Windows 10, so it is the only thing about my computer that should be considered OEM. Secondly, there was no previous OS installed on the computer before installing the OEM version of Windows 10. Also, I already have a Microsoft account tied to my current computer which I understand is needed for Windows Reactivation in the first place.

I have been reading articles and previous forum posts for the better part of two days trying to find a clear answer, but so far haven't had much luck. Preferably I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience or if someone can give a much clearer answer than the ones I have been finding. If you need any other information than what I have provided, feel free to ask.

Solution
First link your digital license to your Microsoft account on the old hardware.
After the upgrade and clean OS install use the troubleshooter to active the digital license on the new hardware.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

With Win 10 the only OEM copies that can't be moved are the preinstalled ones from the OEMs(Dell, HP, etc) those are tied to the system. The OEM copies you can buy from Microsoft or retailers like Newegg can be moved.

bignastyid

Titan
First link your digital license to your Microsoft account on the old hardware.
After the upgrade and clean OS install use the troubleshooter to active the digital license on the new hardware.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

With Win 10 the only OEM copies that can't be moved are the preinstalled ones from the OEMs(Dell, HP, etc) those are tied to the system. The OEM copies you can buy from Microsoft or retailers like Newegg can be moved.

Solution

WTAnderton

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

I have already taken the steps to linking my digital license to my Microsoft account (I've got that nice "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" message). And, yeah, I bought the OEM license from Newegg so, like you said, I should be able to move it. I was just getting conflicting information and was wanting some clarification. Anyways, thanks for your time!