Advice for dual monitor setup

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
Hey guys,
I would really like to add a second monitor to my setup for multi-tasking/productivity, probably with a dual mounting arm to have a cleaner desk.

I do play some games occasionnally, but I would just game on 1 screen in 1080p.

I currently have an Asus VE248Q which is a 60hz 1080p monitor. It is getting pretty old but it still does the job for me. GPU is GTX 960.

What I am not sure is, should I just pick up another VE248Q even though it is an older model, for a perfect match, or would it be wiser to grab a newer panel and use the VE248Q as a secondary monitor? wouldn't it look weird then with different screens?

144hz, 1440p, all look cool but I don't think I "need" them currently with my use.

Solution
This is the one I bought. I got it because it was cheap, yet it appeared to be of good quality as well. It has so far held up my three monitors just fine. And it holds up to three 28" monitors, so if I upgrade to bigger 4K monitors I should be good to reuse it. The mounting area could use nicer mounts with better adjustment support, but I got it to work. It's not 100% and things need to be adjusted over time, but it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JG7G2E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(This is not an endorsement by Tom's hardware in any way of course. This is what I chose to buy as a person.)

I understand the theory of using separate mounts, but for the most part I'd still to an arm like I linked above...

4745454b

Titan
If you were trying to play on all three, I suggest identical monitors. Seeing as you'll be gaming only on one monitor you don't really need to worry about this as much. I have three identical monitors on my desk on a mount. But I only game on the center one.

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017

What mount do you use?

I am mostly concerned about fitment on a dual mounting arm if using different models. I don't want it to look too off.

1Reality1

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016
I recently bought two new 27" monitors. One for 144hz gaming and the other for 4k anything else. I also bought both a dual mounting arm and two single mounting arms. I personally much prefer the single mounting arms and would go the same route whether using two, or three, monitors. The reason I prefer this is more adaptability in positioning. With a single dual mounting arm the monitors stay close together. With two (or three, etc.) single arms I can position them wherever I want. For my setup, I'm still holding-out for a great center monitor, so I'll need these two to be farther apart than a single dual arm would allow.

The only logistical concern that I can think of (other than placement) is to, of course, make sure the arm(s) you use can hold the weight of the monitors you are/will be using. For instance, not all <insert monitor size here> weigh the same, whether of the identical size or, especially, if a different size. Remember, you don't have to do side-by-side. If you prefer the smaller of the two monitors not be directly by the larger one, you can always put it above the primary (in this case, larger) monitor, positioned at an angle toward you.

As far as buying a new monitor goes, I would suggest deciding on the max you want to spend and staying within that as closely as possible. Next, take into account the type of games you play most often. If you're a competitive gamer, for instance, it would be a good idea to chose a monitor between 144hz and 240hz. Also, the larger the monitor the wider your area of vision. And, you'll want it to have the fastest response time you can find - 1ms is preferred. If you primarily play casual games and aren't very competitive, then you can get away with a panel at a lower refresh rate, but greater picture (panel) quality. Of course, if your budget is high enough, you can find a monitor that will aptly provide most, if not all, these things.
Keep in mind however, the larger the resolution of the monitor and the faster the refresh rate, the more power will be required by the GPU, so plan accordingly.

4745454b

Titan
This is the one I bought. I got it because it was cheap, yet it appeared to be of good quality as well. It has so far held up my three monitors just fine. And it holds up to three 28" monitors, so if I upgrade to bigger 4K monitors I should be good to reuse it. The mounting area could use nicer mounts with better adjustment support, but I got it to work. It's not 100% and things need to be adjusted over time, but it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JG7G2E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(This is not an endorsement by Tom's hardware in any way of course. This is what I chose to buy as a person.)

I understand the theory of using separate mounts, but for the most part I'd still to an arm like I linked above. One thing that clips to the desk, and unless you want tons of room between the monitors there isn't a reason to buy 2-3 (or 5) single monitor mounts. The one I linked holds up to 28" monitors so if you want space between your monitors it should be easy to do so. Seeing as most people buy sub 26" monitors. (Obviously if you buy the "giant" 32" monitors this won't work for you.)

Like you plan on doing, I game on a single monitor. 1080, 60Hz. Seeing the price come down I'm tempted to upgrade to three 4K monitors and try to get anything for my 1080s. You can now buy 4K monitors for <$300, so I could upgrade my monitors for ~$600-800 depending on model. If I was still single I probably would have done this already. I don't have any 4K content and lack a GPU that will handle 4K well, so I have no issue staying with 1080/60Hz. As for what monitor to buy, I stand by my original post. If you were gaming on 3 of them, get the same one. I personally would buy a newer/upgraded model. Perhaps a 4K, or perhaps a G/Freesync model. 144Hz isn't a bad idea, I personally don't like 1440/2K monitors. Reuse your old monitor for your surround monitor. If you are going to buy something, make it an upgrade. It seems silly to spend $100+ and have the same thing in front of you.

Solution

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
Guys, some awesome feedback here, thanks so much!
I'm really tempted in simply buying a new screen and using the old VE248Q as the second monitor.
I have an humble GTX960 and really don't see myself going for a high end GPU any time soon, so I might stick with 1080p. Probably still 24'' as my desk is pretty small.
I could go for a 144hz, I mostly play older games that I can run at way higher than 60fps with my older gpu...

1Reality1

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016

Well, the desk size doesn't matter so much. The monitor will be hovering above the desk itself, allowing access to the desk space beneath it. If your card can push it at 144hz, I'd suggest this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg. It's a great monitor. However, there's plenty of options out there. Be sure to check your GPU's specs (https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/specifications) and into account both monitors.

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017

That looks like a solid monitor alright.
What I meant with desk space is the desk is only ~23'' deep so the monitor is relatively close to me, is 27'' still an option?

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
Now I'm torn between a high refresh rate 1080p screen or a more "futureproof" 2k/4k screen.
I know I would have to tweak some things for my GTX960 to handle it, but my GPU will be upgraded before my screen for sure.

I want to spend less than 500CAD

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017

I hear ya. So 4k doesn't make a lot of sense for my current GPU, unless you can still run games decently in 1080p on a 4k monitor?
If that is a lot of trouble, I think I won't bother and go 1080p/144hz. Will just have to decide if I wan't to stretch it to get G-Sync or not.

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
I did a bit of a study of what would be available in my area now in 24''.

1080p@144 G-Sync
AOC G2460PG ~550$
BenQ XL2420G ??
Asus PG248Q ~550$
Acer XB241H ~540$

1080p@144 FreeSync
AOC G2460PF ~245$
Acer XF240H ~350$

1080p@144 NoSync
Acer GN246HL ~280$
BenQ XL2411 ~300$
AOC G2460PQU ~325$

1440p@144 G-Sync
Dell S2417DG ~500$

4K@60Hz FreeSync 27-28''
LG 27UD58 ~450$
AOC U2879VF ~390$
Samsung LU28E590DS/ZA ~370$
Philips 288P6LJEB ~410$

Of course, FreeSync makes no effect for me atm and I don't know if it ever would, I have never seen a decently priced AMD card, in stock, for sale since I've been watching the market, used or new (I admit I have started watching it at its worst time in history :D)

Some 27'' models could fit as well but in 1080p, isn't that a weird size for that resolution?

Damn, last time I bought a monitor, things were a lot simpler.

Edit: added some 4K screens to compare.

If you have an NVIDIA card you can just pretend that "FreeSync" monitors are just normal "no sync" monitors instead.

From that list, the G2460PF and the Dell S2416DG seem to be the best value in their respective classes to me.

4745454b

Titan
All of the Gsyncs seem not worth it. I'm not sure I'd bother with any of them. The AOC G2460PF for ~245$ seems like a great deal. 1080, 144Hz, freesync, and one of the cheapest ones you listed. It's even cheaper than the 1080 144hz no sync monitors? I have no idea how good of a monitor it is, but I'd put that one on my short list of ones to get.

Switching to 4k, going on name and price alone I'd look at the Samsung LU28E590DS/ZA ~370$. Again, it's odd to see the Samsung as the cheapest option. But they make great screens. You shouldn't have issues playing at 1080, it fits exactly on 4K monitors. Unlike the 1440 monitors like I've been saying. Use the 4k and play at 4k when you upgrade the GPU. Up to you if the extra $100+ is worth it.

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
I think I have ruled out 4k for this time around and will stick with 1080 high refresh. I think that will pair well with the games I play (older games or esports)

As much as I'd like to have G-Sync I have to agree it makes no sense with these monitors. The price difference is literally a GPU upgrade for me!
The AOC is tempting with its current price (on sale on Amazon atm) but the more I read, I see many recommandations of the Viewsonic XG2402/LG 24GM79G-B instead.

The LG is alot more money, but the Viewsonic could work, seems it can be found around 380$. What do you think?

4745454b

Titan
Links? (I'm sorry, but I'm a super lazy mod. I don't look up reviews, etc.)

Is there a reason why the Viewsonic or LG is better? If there is an issue with the AOC then of course don't get it. It might be cheap for a reason. Sometimes people say don't get X because it's not an Apple, Samsung, LG, etc. If possible, you might want to go see these monitors in person so you know how they look to your eyes.

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017

From what I have gathered the AOC is not bad at all, it just has a lower image quality/colors but it is a cheaper option. Still awesome specs.

I spend way too much time reading up on stuff here and on reddit.. you probably don't care to go through them but it is various posts like these that I've read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/5xdks2/viewsonic_xg2401_vs_aoc_g2460pf_vs_asus_vg248qe/?st=jfyb7kk7&sh=266401f4
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/89p3mb/viewsonic_xg2402_samsung_c24fg70_aoc_g2460pf/?st=jfyb7sw2&sh=0f93cfde

According to many, the XG2402 (the new revision of the XG2401) and the Samsung C24FG73 (the new revision of the C24FG70) are probably the best 1080p 144hz out there.

I would absolutely love to see them in person, will see if such a thing exists in a store here... that would probably seal the deal and I could stop bothering you guys :D

4745454b

Titan
reddit? I don't bother with them. Random people who think they know stuff arguing online. Not exactly a great idea. I would try to stick to real reviews of items. Speaking of reviews.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-g2460pf-24-inch-144hz-freesync-monitor,4743-6.html\

Verdict

The 24-inch TN category represents the best possible value in adaptive-refresh gaming monitors. AOC’s G2460PF is currently at the pinnacle, which means it’s the least-expensive solution from a major manufacturer. While some may not be willing to include TN in their tech basket, this monitor looks great when playing even the most demanding gaming titles with motion quality that matches many more-expensive displays. For those on a budget, it merits a serious look.

Not the greatest monitor out there, but as I read the view it seemed that when it did fail in something, it failed in a way that is beyond visible detection. So all in all I'm impressed with this monitor and seeing as it's one of the cheapest as well there isn't much to hate about it. (Other than it's rather bright.)

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
:D

Valid points. Thanks again!

The AOC does look much worse out of the box because the default settings are terrible, but once it's calibrated it's quite good looking. Most people probably don't do that, so it gives the impression of being inferior. The color is actually quite excellent for a TN monitor.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/882240-best-looking-144hz-display-for-200-300/

4745454b

Titan
I never "setup" or "calibrated" a monitor until I got my Eyefinity setup. I think anytime you are going to use more than one monitor you need to make adjustments to them so they look good. That's another reason why I got three of the same monitor so they would look closer together. With only two you won't be gaming on both at the same time so it's not as critical. But any time you have two on the same desk you need to calibrate them so they look similar. As long as a monitor can be tweaked I wouldn't worry about it.

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017

That is pretty cool, I did not know you could apply color profiles like that from the OS side.
This guy suggests some tweaks to the AOC as well: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

How do you compare the AOC to the Viewsonic?

They're pretty similar; the AOC is generally a lower price though, so that's usually what I recommend.

stuk0v

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
Hey guys, it seems I could also snag an AOC G2460PG (G-Sync variant) for 390$.
It is not as bad a premium as the 500$ models, but still about 145$ more than the FreeSync model.

G-Sync would be nice but the way I see it, I will be keeping my monitor for many years but I will change the GPU in the near future (GTX960), so I could look at upgrading to an AMD card when I do to beneficiate from Freesync and get more out of my monitor if I went with the cheaper Freesync one. Is that Wise?

You can get a 1440p monitor for less: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-S2417DG-24-Inch-Response/dp/B01IOO4SGK/