Windows boot manager installed in a different drive

Apr 7, 2018
I recently installed an m.2 nvme ssd on my pc and i am using it as a boot drive. Before that, i used a sata ssd as my boot drive but after i got the m.2, i used it as a spare drive in my system as i had no other use for it. However, i built a htpc and i decided to use the spare ssd as my boot drive but after i removed it from the main rig, i couldn't boot into windows. Putting the drive back in the main rig seemed to fix the problem. From the bios i saw that the sata ssd was labeled,besides with its name, that it had windows boot manager on it, despite having the actual OS on a different drive. Any suggestions?

Solution
EasyBCD is probably the easiest free way to do it. Unlike more general-purpose partitioning tools, it's only for working on the bootloader.

This can happen if you install Windows when more than one disk is attached to the system. That's something you should never do because there's no apparent rhyme or reason Windows randomly chooses where to put the boot files.
Apr 7, 2018

Apr 7, 2018
Can you provide any links or something for those programs? Also, the only thing that bugs me is why did this happen. It happened to a relative of mine recently and he is also been trying to explain it without getting to the bottom of it.

EasyBCD is probably the easiest free way to do it. Unlike more general-purpose partitioning tools, it's only for working on the bootloader.

This can happen if you install Windows when more than one disk is attached to the system. That's something you should never do because there's no apparent rhyme or reason Windows randomly chooses where to put the boot files.

Solution
Apr 7, 2018

Apr 7, 2018
So i installed EasyBCD abd wheb i try to change the boot drive from BCD Backup/Repair section(correct me if i'm wrong) i get an error stating that i can't change the boot partition on a logical drive. Excuse my silliness, i'm quite new to all this :p