PC games that rarely crash

Apr 7, 2018
Can anyone recommend pc games that, if nothing else, really excel at stability i.e. they don't crash often or require 'careful' play in order to avoid bugs and glitches?

As you may have guessed I'm asking mostly out of frustration; my last couple of games of choice have caused all sorts of headaches in the technical department. Skyrim, unsurprisingly, hasn't fared well with or without mods, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen crashes every 2-3 hours and M&B: Warband along with its DLC, Viking Conquest, constantly corrupts my saves.

Conversely, DOOM (2016) and all Ubisoft games that I own work perfectly, as does older games like Age of Empires 2 and 3 (these are the ones I tested), but I've played all those to near-death!

Of course, the occasional crash is perfectly tolerable, but I seem to have hit a bad spell lately.

Any and all suggestions are welcome; don't worry about genre, I'll damn near take anything that works :)

A lot of crashes come from the system the games are run on, I can't say I have run across any games crashing on my systems, and I have three gaming computers plus a laptop, and I know all of them ran Skyrim OK. Are you running a bunch of things in the background while the game is running? Streaming/recording/web browsers, etc...?

Apr 7, 2018
I am actually rather diligent in keeping my PC clean both physically and in terms of unnessecary software - I never have other programs running in the background while gaming (well, Steam or Uplay of course, if required) not only to prevent crashing issues, but also because I value good performance.

The only program I have sometimes been running in the background is a framerate limiter (to avoid in-game Vsync), and I am currently testing a few games without this.

@Grugbug: of course, here are my specs:

Manufacturer: MM-Vision A/S
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-A/M.2 (LGA1151)
Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM (for some reason it doesn't say what DDR# or what manufacturer)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Realtek High Definition Audio

Let me know if anything is left out.

I would like to reiterate though, that there is an equally long list of games that work perfectly, than ones that don't, so I don't suspect a problem with my PC - I am not blind to the possibility either, of course, so any suggestions are welcome :)

EDIT: I know this post grows annoyingly long, but I should clarify that these crashing issues have not been specific to my current PC, it's more of an ongoing experience I have had throughout years of gaming, and recently it just seems that a disproportionate number of games that I wanted to get into presented problems, while others work fine (but I feel done with). That's why originally I asked about "sturdy" games, but if a problem with my current rig can be sniffed out, that's grand too :)

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
What is the make/ model of your PSU? A flaky PSU can introduce all sorts of weird system behavior.

The problem is in your system somewhere, we'll find it.

Have you logged your system temps while playing up to a crash point?
Have you ran Memtest overnight?

Apr 7, 2018
Ah, PSU, knew I forgot something:

Corsair VS550 550W Power Supply Unit

The RAM by the way, is two sticks of 8GB DDR4-2400 LPX (I took a look at the manufacturer's website, and this seems to be their standard)

I checked temps a while back with Viking Conquest (as quick as I could after a crash), but sadly I don't remember the exact numbers - it was, however, colder than when playing Assassin's Creed: Origins which runs rather hot but never crashes, oddly (I checked temps in Origins because I knew it was taxing on the machine, but it's just within acceptable limits).

I am in currently in the process of moving to another city, so extensive tests happen a bit sporadically when I have the time, but I will definitely run Memtest and check more temperatures when I get a bit of space.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I have a habit of forgetting all my options sometimes!