Large files load very slowly since I changer to 10 and a new build.

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hi
Recently I built a new PC and switched (reluctantly) to Windows 10. I am very happy with the performance in every way but one:
When I open a folder with 1 tb of fairly large files that resides on a 4tb WD Caviar SATA 3 drive the folder will open on the desktop but the contents will take forever (10 seconds lol) to display while showing a progress bar on the file top area. This happens most of the time. With my old system (dual quad with older intel board and 4g ram) it would almost always be there instantly. Once in a while it would be delayed butt not often.
I am suspecting that the file information was, in some way cached in the old system and is not in the new. I have changed no settings on the hard drives and the OS is on a separate SSD. Same hard drives and SSD. Could that be? I also wonder if either the new MB or OS handle files differently. Is there a setting to change. Everything works great except that so I hope I can be forgiven for using the Upgrade setting.
The MB is set for SATA. The SSD is the boot drive. The Windows 10 home 64 is a newly paid for and downloaded one and so the newest version. I did use it in upgrade mode. My old OS was 7 Pro 64 SP1.
The new rig is a Asrock Taichi X370 with a 3.60g Ryzen 1600x and 32G of DDR4 3200 ram.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
Are those large files - videos?
Generation of thumbnails can be rather slow and, if there are damaged video files, this can take forever.
You can turn off thumbnail generation in folder options (check "Display file icon on thumbnails").

TRENDING THREADS