Problem with User Account

fanmoefoe

Commendable
Apr 8, 2018
Hi,
I just bought a laptop with Windows 10. It was set up by the shopkeeper including Windows 10 activation etc. Once I got home and used the laptop I realised under 'C:\Users' there was one folder named 'Public' (which is normal) and another folder which was named with what I think was his name, 'HAFIZ'.

I thought this could simply be resolved by managing user account. I opened the Account settings and found that there was only 1 user account and the user account in use is an account named 'User'. But in 'C:\Users' there was only Public and HAFIZ, instead of 'User'.

I then decided to create and sign into a Microsoft Account to see if that would resolve things, so upon checking my User Accounts there was then no more 'User' but only my newly created Microsoft Account. In 'C:\Users' though - still only Public and HAFIZ.

What I then did was create another user account as local and administrator, removed my Microsoft Account. My User Account then had only my newly created local user account. This time around in
'C:\Users' there were 'Public' and a new folder similarly named to my new Local admin User Account BUT the 'HAFIZ' folder is still around. It's not a duplicate of my one and only user account either because the downloaded files within the folders were different - HAFIZ contained files I downloaded upon first using the laptop, My new Local user account folder had new files i downloaded post-creating the account.

I am at such a loss on how to get rid of that HAFIZ folder, and how did it exist in the first place as the user account had no such account. I hope someone could help resolve this asap. Thanks a lot.

Solution
I think it is going to be related to the fact that you can not delete the last administrator account on the machine.
you might want to create a new administrator account then log on to it and then delete the other profile.
I think the default is for Microsoft to use the first 5 letters of your email to create the directory name.

you could change it directly but you will have issues that might mean you have to search the registry to change the string "HAFIZ" with the new string.

I think if you rename the admin account the directory name on disk will not actually change.

a complete reinstall will start you over and use the first 5 characters of your login name. (if that is better)
I think if you do not use a Microsoft validated...
I think it is going to be related to the fact that you can not delete the last administrator account on the machine.
you might want to create a new administrator account then log on to it and then delete the other profile.
I think the default is for Microsoft to use the first 5 letters of your email to create the directory name.

you could change it directly but you will have issues that might mean you have to search the registry to change the string "HAFIZ" with the new string.

I think if you rename the admin account the directory name on disk will not actually change.

a complete reinstall will start you over and use the first 5 characters of your login name. (if that is better)
I think if you do not use a Microsoft validated account then it will create a local account with the name you specify (full name I think).
(this is how I set up machines, for the case where there is no network access and you need to log in with an admin account)

Solution