Why does 60fps look better on my TV vs my monitor?

Jobesky

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I have a 144hz GSYNC monitor, but anytime I play a game that's heavily modded - Oblivion, New Vegas, Skyrim, etc. - they frequently dip into the 60's. On my monitor, it looks bad. I remember 60fps looking just fine and smooth... and then I remembered that it does, indeed, look fine and smooth... on my TV.

I remembered that back in 2016 when I got a 55 inch 4K TV and played RAGE on it. You see, RAGE is capped at 60fps so it looked very unsmooth on my monitor. On my TV, however... buttery smooth. And that was at 60fps. I tried the above games sans Oblivion and they, again, looked smooth as butter!

I'm sick of this. Where can I get a monitor that will look as smooth as my TV at 60fps? Why is this happening?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Or just that most TVs have severe ghosting issues which is smoothing things out, pixel response time is much higher on TVs. But definitely look into motion interpolation, I can't stand it personally, and some content looks worse with it on (particularly compressed video, it makes artifacting look much worse.)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on precisely what effect you want to achieve.

No real way to match a TVs interpolation, that is an effect of the scalar doing processing. Most TVs have a pretty powerful ARM processor with some companies graphics cores doing the work.

You are likely used to V-sync off with abundant screen tearing, or you used to have enough horsepower to always reach 60FPS with v-sync on.

With a G-sync monitor you should be tuning your game's settings to reach a desired frame rate. The whole idea of G-sync is to get rid of tearing. So if you are constantly jumping from high refresh to below 60FPS that would be pretty unpleasant.

V-sync is still an option. On those hard hitting games you could run the monitor at 60hz with it either on or off. Then you wouldn't see the effect of the monitor redrawing the same frame multiple times.

Or the final option, increase CPU or GPU performance so you don't dip down. Might not be possible with some mods.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A lot of mods are CPU and memory bound, so graphics settings doesn't always work. Basically adding onto the core game. And some mods are there specifically to go beyond the games original graphics settings, like texture packs.

I'm not sure that many small TVs come with those features, but you can certainly look into it.

I would try running the monitor at 60hz with v-sync and g-sync off. Can't really do anything about the framerate, but G-sync will double up frames to prevent tearing and so will adaptive v-sync. As long as you don't mind tearing it should appear more fluid, unless the frame rate really dips.

Jobesky

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

It's weird - I've tried that and it looks sluggish still. This is a good way to describe it on my monitor: 60fps looks like 30fps, 100fps and above looks like how 60fps should be... smooth. That's why I'm so confused. 60fps on my other monitors looked fine, like back in 2012-2013. After that, I upgraded to 120hz monitors. Perhaps my eyes adjusted but I hope not! Can my eyes be readjusted to 60fps somehow?