Windows 10 takes 20-30 minutes to boot

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
A few weeks ago my PC would take 30 minutes to boot. It would start up normal and go to a black screen with the windows logo and spinning dots, when it got to that screen my keyboard and mouse lights turned off. It would stay on that screen for at least 20 minutes before my keyboard and mouse lit up again and then it was just the spinning dots for a few more minutes. I followed a video on fixing an infinite boot through automatic repair and made a backup which fixed my problem for a week, but now it's back. I had done an error checking of my drive and it came back with no errors.

I've had to shutdown my PC twice today after windows froze up and I couldn't do anything. The first shutdown my PC came back and was running fine even though it took 20 minutes to boot, but then it froze up again after I left it for a few minutes. Now it's back up and again running smooth.

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

I'm leaning more towards my hard drive since that's what I've seen mentioned for other threads, but I haven't checked for a ram issue. I have windows installed on an HDD but also have an SSD, would moving windows to the other drive potentially fix it?

Potentially left field question here, but... how updated is your W10? Do you have all of the most recent updates? If your system is playing catch up to install those patches, it will take a while. This has happened with my wife's laptop a couple of times but now that I've got it on a regular cycle to verify if updates are available and installed (since she doesn't use it as much as I use the desktop), it's just fine now.

All that said, it could end up being a HDD issue for you as previously mentioned.

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

It says I'm on version 1709 and the last update I see was on 3/13/2018. The only updates available is one for Razer.

Okay. Just thought I'd throw it out there. You don't know unless you ask. :)

Once you got it started, lets do 2 things

Check hard drive for bad sectors and try to repair.
1. in the search bar type "CMD" and right click and launch as administrator.
2. enter: CHKDSK c: /f /r /x it will ask to reboot to launch it do so.
this can take a lot of time if your hard drive has issues.

once done I suggest to let windows inspect your windows operating system files;
1. in the search bar type "CMD" and right click and launch as administrator.
2. SCF /scannow

if the chkdsk find a lot of failed bad sectors relocation/repair, I would back up data and replace drive.

refs;
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-hard-drives-chkdsk-windows-10/
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2866666/scan-windows-files-sfc-scannow.html

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

So I finally ran the chkdsk and it took over 8 hours to complete. It doesn't look like it had any bad sectors. And when I did the sfc scan it said it didn't find any integrity violations. And a seatools scan I did before the chkdsk passed on both my hard drives.

Sep 20, 2018
I had the same problem: for weeks it took 30 minutes to boot. In my case it was easily solved: the system was trying to do automatic update to my backup on Google drive, but the drive was full. I don´t use this so I switched the update function off and voilá! Boot time was back to normal.
I suppose this is a disk issue as proposed earlier, but not a local one.