No text on desktop, explorer, right-click menu, etc...

PolySosceles

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
I just reset my PC, set everything up, and noticed that my windows.old folder was taking up 30 gigs of my SSD, so I looked up a Youtube tutorial on how to delete it, and so I deleted it successfully, except for a few files that were being used by the system at the time. So I restarted my computer after I had deleted the folder and then the problem came along. No text on my desktop or my explorer.. or anywhere that is vital to the use of my computer... Furthermore, I can't access my little windows menu via the button on my keyboard or left-clicking on my screen, but I can right click it; it's just there's nothing on screen.. just grey bars. I tried looking for a fix and I can't seem to find anything :(

If anyone knows how to fix this that doesn't include resetting my PC again.. I'd love to hear your ideas!

-Thanks!

Solution
from the login screen, click the power button
while holding shift down, click restart button
this will load windows into advanced start up

do you have any text here? I would expect you do

what kind of reset was it? Full or keep files/settings?

if you kept files, you can try to rescue them below. If you did a full reset, I would suggest doing another one and leave the windows.old folder as is - win 10 will delete it after 10 days anyway

to find reset, click Troubleshoot, its the only option in this menu

how to rescue files
from menu you on, choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
typed notepad in which obviously opened the notepad. From there I went to file > open which opened a file explorer
insert USB and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
from the login screen, click the power button
while holding shift down, click restart button
this will load windows into advanced start up

do you have any text here? I would expect you do

what kind of reset was it? Full or keep files/settings?

if you kept files, you can try to rescue them below. If you did a full reset, I would suggest doing another one and leave the windows.old folder as is - win 10 will delete it after 10 days anyway

to find reset, click Troubleshoot, its the only option in this menu

how to rescue files
from menu you on, choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
typed notepad in which obviously opened the notepad. From there I went to file > open which opened a file explorer
insert USB and copy any files you want to save off

Solution