Benq XL2720T - 120Hz refresh rate via DisplayPort?

Billy Pilgrim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
Hi
I'd like to connect my three BenQ XL 2720T monitors to my graphics card (1080 ti) via DisplayPort cables (the gfx card has three displayport outputs).

I need to get the high refresh rates the monitor is capable of (120Hz). I read in this article: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/52663/benq-xl2720t-review
that you must use DVI-DL to get high refresh rates. Does anyone know if this is true? Will I not get 120Hz via Displayport? Would it be ok if I simply bought adapters (DisplayPort to DVI-DL)?

Solution
Again - Display port connection is perfectly capable of delivering high refresh rates.
Display Port 1.2 supports refresh rates up to 240Hz on 1080p monitor.

If you're still not convinced, consult Benq customer support.

Billy Pilgrim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that it seems that the Benq XL2720T user manual (and the article I linked to, which is a review of the monitor i have - I've excerpted the relevant text below) says that one should use the DVI-DL input to get the high (over 60Hz) refresh rates

From article I linked to: On its back panel, the XL2720T has single VGA, dual-link DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs, as well as two HDMI inputs. You must use the bundled dual-link DVI-D cable to take advantage of its high refresh rate.

So I'm thinking I'll need to use adpaters - and will a displayport to DVI-dual link adapter still maintain a more-than-60Hz refresh rate?