Onedrive Folder Sync

austinblack111

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Hi All,

This is going to be a REALLY technical question about Onedrive, so I apologize in advance If I lose anyone. ( I will try to be as SPECIFIC as possible though)

To get some background information:

I have several Symbolic links set up in my F: Drive. I have 3 folders in there that store files on my PC that is symbolically linked to my OneDrive app(It's on the same drive) so they automatically update to mirror each other (that way I have a file on my PC, and one backed up in the cloud. This also allows me to do work on my laptop on those same files, and when moving back to my desktop, all those files mirror the work I did on the laptop.

My question is, is there a way to set up the folders on my F Drive (The ones that are actually saved on the PC, not the Onedrive app) to not delete a file that gets deleted in the Onedrive app. (That way, if I accidentally delete it there, its not deleted from my PC (So i can always have a "hard" copy of it preserved in case of a OneDrive mishap.)

I hope that makes sense... It did in my brain.

Solution
I don't understand why your current setup requires symbolic links. Files/folders stored in your Onedrive folder are stored locally as well as on the cloud. I think by default, but if not you can definitely configure it that way.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that deleting a file in Onedrive automatically deletes your local copy. Can't quite remember though.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't understand why your current setup requires symbolic links. Files/folders stored in your Onedrive folder are stored locally as well as on the cloud. I think by default, but if not you can definitely configure it that way.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that deleting a file in Onedrive automatically deletes your local copy. Can't quite remember though.

Solution