Looking for LCD TFT CCFL pc monitor to combat eye strain

Toonhaze

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
Hi

My old laptop is: "Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1437G" and has this monitor:

15.4”- inch TFT LCD WXGA (1280x800) glossy display
with "Crystal View" technology (I am not sure what that is). But I am almost sure, that this monitor is CCFL backlit (as opposed to LED-backlit, which my eyes hate).

I have attached a few closeup pictures of the monitor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjis7rm0l087uug/20180412_092013.jpgdl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1htwni06fzwh7ep/20180412_092024.jpgdl=0

I have used a lot of different monitors in my time, and I came to realize, that the only type of monitor that is not giving me headache, eye pain or dry face and eyes is this type of display. I could use it for hours without problems.

I have never found a specific PC monitor that looks exactly like this one: dark green color, tiny visible rectangles / pixels and glossy.

Can someone please recommend me a good monitor? One that is the same or very similar technology to the one I mentioned (and sent pictures of).

Thank you

It could just be that you have only used cheap crappy monitors before. I myself have quite sensitive eyes and get eyestrain a lot. This is why I tend to invest a decent amount of money into my monitors and tv's to get the ones that will not give me issues.

The EIZO ev2450 is one of the best monitors I have ever owned in terms of viewing comfort (togheter with some random unbranded monitor I got from the garbage).

cwli1_

Notable
Mar 9, 2017
Old LED screens had problems with PWM so I think that's why. Modern ones are flicker free and manufacturers will say if they are. However, I've also used the flicker-free LED BenQ gw2270 and got headaches! I think it's because it's an inferior screen.

I now use a Dell s2240L and it's perfect. It's not available now but try the semi-glossy s2318hx at http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/monitors-monitor-accessories/ar/4009?appliedRefinements=2829 Select the country at the bottom). Or the 24” s2418x. They are IPS screens so color looks amazing. Dark scenes are stunning.

I have the blue channel reduced to about 37% and the red and green about 50% to create a low-blue-light mode with the brightness at 33%. The sharpness is set at 100%.

On Ebay you can search for “VESA Mount Adapter for Dell”.

If you want an LCD backlit try the BenQ g2255 or HP 2009V on ebay. On http://www.ebay.co.uk people are selling the IIyama E2008HDS. I've used these & they're fine.

Every 20 minutes you could put your hands over your closed eyes. YouTube “eye exercises”.

Toonhaze

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
Thank you, but I somehow doubt that those suggestions will be any good. I provided the pictures of the monitor type that I can stare at for hours with no problems. If this exact technology is obsolete, then there is nothing more to do.

The tech has been replaced about 8 years ago. So no more screen of that type have been made in a long time.

Toonhaze

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
I understand. I was hoping, that someone else with a similar sensitivity as me, could perhaps suggest a technology that is very similar to the aforementioned CCFL-backlit screen. A technology that is easy on sensitive eyes. Like my AMOLED screen on my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone or S2 Tab. It is also relatively mild on the eyes, for me at least.

Not to sound rude but, I am getting a bit tired of people who think that I need a: flicker-free, IPS, high resolution, or whatever monitor and that the problem will magically go away. I tried so many different monitors, and somehow, the only one that my eyes can fully handle is the TFT LCD (as I wrote in my original message).

I have never seen a regular PC monitor that looks like the one on the pictures that I posted. Dark green, glossy, visible "pixels". So I am starting to wonder what was so special about those monitors back then. And which current technology could be a good replacement. (eye sensitivity wise)

Kind of hoping, that someone can suggest me a good, old, regular PC monitor or same technology that I can order on Ebay.

The problem with OLED (what your galaxy uses) is burn in. This is not that big of a problem on mobile but on windows it is due to the constant static taskbar.

Oct 17, 2018
I have a similar problem with LED technology in today's screens and monitors. Look like everything's LED based. My eye strain is so bad. So the only thing I can do is use my old LDC TFT monitors that I still have at home. Did you find any product/solution to this problem? Thank you.