How to install windows on new SSD while still keeping old HDD?

zxzimw3

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
I just bought a 120GB SSD so that I can install windows on it and get faster boot times. Is it possible for me to just play my games that are on my current HDD without having to reinstall them?

Self contained programs can still be run, some with a little configuration. Others may need to be reinstalled completely.

For example, with Steam, you don't need to reinstall the games. Just install steam on your new SSD, and point the folder path to where the games are located on your old HDD (steamapps folder)

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Why would you want to do that? It would defeat the purpose of upgrading to an SSD. Buy a larger SSD, at least 500GB, and then perform a clean install. Once you have installed the OS, install your game apps (i.e., Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, etc.). Then one-by-one, you will need to copy over the game folders from the old HDD to the new OS SSD. Use the specific game app to attain the correct file directory where you're supposed to put the game folders. Once you have copied over the folder, go back into that game app and follow the instructions as if you are going to install the game fresh. The game app will begin to initiate the download process after validating the game directory, but then will suddenly complete as it will detect that the game files are there (the ones you copied to that directory). This process will have to be repeated for each game that you want installed onto the new SSD. I have used this exact process, but for the opposite of what you are doing. I started running out of space on my OS SSD, so I installed a second SSD and used it for storage. This process allowed for me to migrate the games off my OS SSD onto my storage SSD without having to re-download the games.

SSD's don't affect in-game performance in the slightest. They help load times, which are only a small part of the game experience. Many multiplayer games require all players to load in before starting the match, so if even 1 player is using a HDD, your SSD speed is completely wasted.

With windows, however, there are small data transfers all the time from the HDD. It greatly improves not only boot time, but the overall responsiveness of the OS.