Upgrading computer (includes current build+ anticipated upgrades) any suggestions compatability issues?

TidalWaves

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
So about 5 years ago I built my current computer with help from the community. 2 RMAs (one being botched by the Mobo company) and one forced upgrade a year later, I'm in the position that I have to upgrade my computer again. Luckily for me, I'm reusing some hardware and tiding myself over while waiting for Prices to drop on other components.

I'm including the link to PC part picker for specific specifications so people can see what I selected. The website claims no compatibility issues but i wanted to make sure and to see of there's any other suggestions. As an IT student, I've been watching prices and tying to look things up between my studies and streaming.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week , Either Today or tomorrow so parts arrive early next week

Budget Range: less than $1,200 CDN taxes in (I'm already slightly over budget as is), Using Amazon Prime Student to save on shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming, Video Editing, Gaming, running Virtual machines

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, RAM, Mobo, Graphics card at a later date (see notes)

Do you need to buy OS: No, using Win 7 Ultimate that I bought for original build

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.ca because I have free Prime Student through my school

Location: Canada, Atlantic Coast (Don't feel comfortable giving out my exact province/town sorry)

Parts Preferences: Intel i7 8th gen, 16-32 GB Ram, 1080ti once the price drops and it's more available for purchase (Nvidia direct because they sell at MSRP) Please do not suggest ASRock parts. I've had horrible experiences with them in the past.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Currently using SLI, will NOT be using SLI once I can afford to upgrade my GPU

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 if i remember correctly

Additional Comments: Upgrading from AMD to Intel, trying to upgrade after 5 years, using the same O/S from 5 years ago, using 64 Bit Win 7 Ultimate (I still have the copy of my install disk), will upgrade GPU once price drops and i can afford the upgrade

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: random and massive frame drops in various games (going from 70 & 60 down to 20-10), stuttering, odd occasional lag when on the desktop or out of games. Games affected include:

Arma 3
Ark Survival Evolved
Fallout 4
Skyrim
Overwatch
Minecraft
Mass Effect series (1-3 and Andronema)
Rocket League
Dragon Age Inquisition
GTA V (singleplayer and offline)
PUBG
Fortnite

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Cvxx6s < the link that has all the specific parts i'm looking to upgrade to. *UPDATED with new part selection*

Here's a screenshot of the list of my current Computer Specs vs what I want to upgrade to (it won't display as an image):

https://gyazo.com/290cc089eaec302db1b2da9e047cdd27 < Upgraded with new part selection
https://gyazo.com/e159f4c4c4015b17e195f8ad8497de9d < the parts I want to upgrade to

I'm aware that AMD is better for gaming, and has some protection against the Meltdown Vulnerability, but a lot of gamers and streamers that I've been following have been using Intels, and my school laptop is also running an Intel and it's been fairly decent with games and it's an i5. I addition, some of my games/software seem to work a bit better on an Intel, (Ark, Mass Effect 1, VM ware and Visual Basic, I'm looking at you).

I would do just a smaller upgrade, but the thing is that Ive been using the same hardware for 5 years -4 years in the case of the motherboard, CPU and cpu liquid cooler, 1 year in the case of the 3 TB hard Drive as i replaced a faulty drive just last year- and it's time for an upgrade, especially for the GPUs. my GPUs are 670, a step above the minimum requirements for a lot of the newer games, and no where near the recommended requirements in some cases.

I want to go from 2 way SLI down to a singular graphics card -also because the 1080 ti seems to have a lower power draw than 1 670. Upgrading to such a high -and expensive- graphics card will help keep that much current for a few years untill i need to upgrade again. I'm also double checking to make sure that my case has the length for the card (Zalman Z11's case is a bit longer to allow more room for bigger cards, time to put it to good use)

I also want to stick with 32GB of ram that i currently have. Some games are requiring more and more Ram now, some going as high as 4-16GBs depending on minimum vs recommended requirements. 32GB keeps me ahead and i find helps during streaming and processing. I'm not sure on the motherboard though. To be honest, the price doesn't look too bad, it's got a max RAM capacity of 64 GBs (very nice) it's kind of Flashy with the LEDs (again very nice) and it means i finally have to use DDR4.

I've worked on Intel based machines in class and on my old laptop so while i don't have as much experience as i do with AMD boards/ CPUs, I am at least familiar with them (I know it's a pin and CPU clip difference but still, i find the Intel slips a bit or a hassle to deal with, hence why i need to learn).

I need to double check my CPU cooler. It's a Cooler Master Seidon 120XL (120mm Radiator and 2 Fans) set up and while it says it's compatable with both Intel and AMD, but i'm not sure if it will have adequate cooling/ or if it will fit the newer CPUs.

As a side note: I managed to find my Motherboard info (newegg changed their order history search options, so i can no longer check all time purchase history. i had to dig through my bookmarks). My CURRENT Mobo is a GA-990FXA-UD3 and i think it's a rev 4.0 board.

Like i said, I'm getting odd lag when i'm just working on the computer outside of games, off lag spikes/ massive frame rate drops in games, and in one other game, massive lag/ FPS drops and crackly audio. Reinstalling windows worked for a few months and the frequency of the issues decreased, but as of late, they're starting to increase again and I'm starting to suspect aging hardware, but i'm not sure wich. CPU tempratures aren't bad... about 40 to 67ish C. GPu temps are about 50-70 C depending on the game (Ark and MEA run about 63-70 ish degrees C again 4 fans are running -the 5th is unplugged due to me needing a splitter cable to plug into the motherboard- not including the 2 for my radiator.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding hardware, heads up regarding temperature or compatibility issues i missed, or reviews on specific hardware, that would be great. I'm hoping to order the parts tonight or tomorrow morning so my Amazon Prime student gets them to me by Tuesday. I'll try to add more info once i get home, unless i pass out from exhaustion. Been awake since 4am.

Edit: I've since found some hardware that's cheaper and actually better than i originally selected. I've also dropped the Ram From 32 to 16 GB to help with costs, as i can always upgrade to 32 or 64 GB of RAM later

TidalWaves

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I've had bad experiences with ASRock. My first motherboard with them died after 6 months and when I RMAed it, they sent me a refurbished board that was a 3,0 revision that was incompatible with the hardware i already had and caused BSOD for6 more months. Computer repair shops checksed it and tested other hardware on the board and found that no matter what hardware they tried with the board, i kept getting blue screens. That's when i switched to Gigabyte. the new motherboard and CPU fixed the blue screens for good.

ASRocks Customer service is rather poor too. I had to fight with them for 2 weeks to get the form for an RMA and had to wait another week and a half before they approved it. Meanwhile, i already had my GPU's RMA approved

I will double check the price. but before tax, that suggested build is more expensive than what i have already sitting in my cart.

Edit: Here's the prices for comparison. I also realized i needed to get some more thermal paste as I'm out so add about $11 to the price. You also did not include the CPU into the price:

Price including taxes and shipping with the parts I selected: CDN$ 1,111.21 With Tax: CDN$ 1,276.25
Price including parts suggested-ASRock board and Vengence Ram: CDN$ 1,112.86 With Tax: CDN$ 1,278.15

I already stated that I'm a bit over budget as it is. with approx $2 in the difference, I'd prefer getting the MSI which has better reviews and doesn't appear to have the RAM issue. Props to finding a RGB boad that's color fits my -black and blue- theme.

I've updated my original post with parts preferences.

TidalWaves

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I hate to double post but I've updated the selected parts i would like to use, that way i can help cut down on confusion when people read mine and Zerk's posts.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Cvxx6s < selected parts I'm looking at now

https://gyazo.com/290cc089eaec302db1b2da9e047cdd27 < what i have now vs what i want to upgrade to
https://gyazo.com/e159f4c4c4015b17e195f8ad8497de9d < part list including taxes from Amazon (Prime student applied) showing changes and difference in price.

Basically I changed Mobos to a brand i know is still decent -thought idk about this specific board but reviews are good- and Ram to something nicer, affordable and faster than both my original choice and faster than Zerk's suggestion.

I've dropped the RAM to 16 GB because I'm finding it difficult to find RAM that's affordable, fits my computer's pre-established theme of Blue and Black, and finding theme fitting, affordable and compatible RAM with the motherboards on the QVL list is difficult. While the RAM i slected isn't on the QVL list for that mmotherboard, people on Amazon have mentioned that the board and RAM are compatible, but the RAM's RGB must be controlled by the G.Skills interface instead of the Aorus interface.

Basically the 16 GB (2x8) is to tide me over until i can find affordable 64GB (4x16) RAM sticks that either fit the Black and blue theme or have LEDs that I can change to blue. The Motherboard's LEDs also is aesthetic to blend in with the theme, but also because it has a lot of Fan headers and headers for liquid cooling (if i ever expand fully into it), which is great because maybe now i can re-plug in the the top vent fan that i never got the splitter cable for (1/2 top vent fans are plugged in... I had to sacrifice a top vent fan to plug in y 2nd Radiator fan for my CPU cooler (2 fans and a radiator).

Anyway, I'm still a bit over budget, but the price is a lot better now. Basically i want to get this hardware and get it to last me as long as possible, say atleast another 4-5 yearsish if possible.