windows cannot access the specified file unless it's on desktop

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I have an internal driver where I have my installers...

When I try to install files from that HDD it says; "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file......appropriate permission to access... blah blah"
But if I move the installer to the Desktop, then it works without hesitation...

It's not the driver, I have installed from that driver. And yes, I have the full control of the folder and the installer that I am trying to install.

That's all I got...

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Yes I hear you but I did everything I learned to obtain all the rights; disabled UAC, Take Ownership/Restore Rights, all that stuff... That OS is not hooked to the Web by the way...
And of course, I gave a check on the Full control 'Allow Box'...

So I don't know what next... :)

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
As I was writing it down I was wondering exactly the same thing!

And of course, I shouldn't have trusted what I found in Google Bazaar... Thank you for that...

I am building (again) my music WS... But I am working with two systems.
I go back and forth because I didn't connect the WS to WEB and I shan't! :) I suffered enough I think...

Anyways this problem is happening randomly on both Windows 10 installations, as I conduct the trial installations to foresee upcoming problems... Since these are my first Windows 10 installations...The only difference between them, that I disabled UAC from the Workstation one...

This problem was somewhat manageable with smaller plugins and stuff...

But now I found out that My Cubase 9 installation is also acting bitchy! And I have to move over 30 GB to install my software from my Drive?!

It's, again and again, I am cursing my self for not being able to like MACOS at all... But this Windows curse... Man!

Oh yeah to answer your question, I was doing different things on different occasions I am sure.
But mostly installing and checking...

I have to say to my misfortune (!), I've been doing this stupid installation game for over four years and I had this problem now and then with Win 7 Win 8.1 (Pro x64) And now with 10...

I wonder when am I gonna be able to make music again?!
Why do I need to become a mechanical engineer to drive a car from my home to my work for Gods' sake?!

UPDATE

WinOwnership v1.1 alsop didn't work...

USAFRet

Titan
Why do I need to become a mechanical engineer to drive a car from my home to my work for Gods' sake?!

Most (the vast majority) of Windows installs do not have this problem.

Possibly your Cubase install is acting up because it cannot contact anything online?
Disable UAC? Why?

And you're copying large segments of data between the two machines?
Possibly you're copying permission restricted folders?

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I am first installing it on the secondary os which is connected. Hence the chats. :)

But I will momentarily connect the software to activate the code in the eLicense...

Disable UAC, because I don't want paranoid impulses of the OS second guessing every move I make...
And I make lots of moves working with a workstation... And since I won't be doing anything silly and no WEB, I don't need it.

I had moved huge folders like TBs of samples and what not... No problem!
Not between two machines but between drives... I have 12 internal drives that all crucial to my system...

I installed the Cubase, unfortunately by copying executables to the desktop...

USAFRet

Titan

And your first pic almost certainly leads to a path issue.
Having just copied the Cubase application to the Y drive, it is trying to access things that don't exist in the location it thinks it should.

When an application is installed, it makes a LOT of entries in the Registry and elsewhere. And sets up folders in other locations.
The exe is looking for those, and can't find them.
Hence the error you're getting.

A reinstall of that application will fix that problem.

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I'm not sure if I follow.

The drive Y is my primary drive where are my most installers are stored. So everything that installer needs is in there... Eventually, when I installed Cubase I copied the whole folder to C and then I installed it from there...

USAFRet

Titan

Right. Just copying the folder from where Cubase was initially installed to is not the entirety of what it installed and configured.
Other things happened during the initial install.

And the original installer file for Cubase is not what it needs. That is a highly compressed exe.
Run it, and it decompresses and installs what it needs.

Bottom line...anything other than trivially small applications cannot simply be copied from one drive to another and still work properly.

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
When I copied the folder to drive C, nothing was installed from Cubase yet in the system initially...

I am copying the Installers, not the installed folders...

Or I am really dumb and I am not getting what you are trying to say at all...
But then again, I doubt it ... :)

thank you by the way

PS. I downloaded those installers from Steinberg site...

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I am trying to upload an avatar (bored with the empty space in my posts) but I get:
"500 - Uh oh, something went wrong." page...

Is that because of the waiting period thing or something is wrong, do you know?
Hijacking my own post :)

USAFRet

Titan

"pretty much..."
All those installers work in that space on the Y drive?

Then this is still a path issue, with that particular Cubase thing, in that location on the Y drive.

Most likely - path is too long. Shorten names of your folders.

DxPPK9.png

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I just moved "Cubase 8" folder (the installer is in it) to the Root directory of Y:
Nothing has changed... (So there was a lot shorter path to deal with)
And again, I previously had installed Cubase from the same folder structure before...

Those installers work in that space on the Y: drive as INSTALLERS... Not as actual running applications...

I install then to drive C:

UPDATE

I just realized that the workstation OS that I am building, the one that doesn't have UAC, DOESN'T HAVE THE PROBLEM!

My bad!