Overclocking Old Computer

Apr 13, 2018
Hello,

I have an old CPU "Intel Core 2 Duo" which is 2.33 GHz, a GPU "Geforce GT 440" and 6 Gigabytes of RAM (DDR) and I want to overclock it!
Is it safe and how do I do it?!
Just in case you want to know my motherboard is "Asus 5PK-E".

If you want any further information about the hardware that is in my system ask me.

Thank you for helping!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That was a good board for OC'ing in its day. So yes, it is safe to OC on that board with a good quality PSU. But don't expect to get much of a performance bump from the old Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor (E6550 ?). The CPU doesn't have an unlocked multiplier, so all the OC'ing will be done with the base clock. You may get a few hundred MHz if you are good.

A good 2 core overclock is a tape mod from 1066fsb to 1333fsb on an E7500. If you bump the Voltage a little it should run. This will get 11x333=3.66GHz.
The classic budget OC was a Q6600 SLACR with a tape mod to 3GHz. 9x333=3Ghz. You can tweak a little more out of it from there.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
In case you're curious, the tape mod william p is referring to is this. But your E6550 is already a 1333 MHz fsb.

Personally, I would recommend finding a faster quad core instead of trying to OC that chip. Q9550s, for example, can be found fairly cheap on places like ebay. Your board supports all the popular 775 socket processors with the correct BIOS update (if needed).