DDR3 or DDR4 new build ?

Apr 13, 2018
Guys, may I ask a question regarding a new build ?

I have two options. either go DDR3 or DDR4.
I play Games and want to do some graphics work with Autodesk and similar graphics programmes but nothing to heavy. Rendering buildings etc.

Non Negotiable are AMD GPU and MSI / ASUS MOBO and 16GB+ Ram. 750W semi modular PS with a Coolermaster Evo 212 / Wraith fan as I am not ready for liquid cooling.
Case already has 4 fans.

The games that I play are Sniper Elite 1-4. Tomb Raider (all) Thief up to Thief 4 etc.
I do not overclock anything at any time.
I can either go DDR3 MOBO and 4GB Processor AMD FX8350 with ASUS M5A78L mobo or equivalent with 16GB of Ram and something like an RX480 4GB or would i be better with 8GB card ? for about £300.00 + GPU
Or
Would I be better to go DDR4 again MSI B350 or equivalent ? 16GB Ram and a RX480 or nearest AMD (i never use NVidia) for about £500 + GPU
Not really interested in Quake or Doom or being VR ready or dual GPU. I do not have SSD drives yet
What would you guys suggest as a system for say the next 3-5 years ?
I am open to all points of view and appreciate your time. Purchase to take place end of April 18
Many Thnaks
The G-Man

Apr 13, 2018
HI Getochkn. Thanks for coming back so quickly. I am in the UK. Budget can go to about £500 / £550 GBP + GPU. I already have a case. Has to be an AMD chipset and not Intel

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

why? especially since you dont want to overclock, cripples the performance on the amd side quite heavily

The graphics card will hammer your budget hard given current market. And if you're doing graphics work it's best to have 16GB of RAM, and DDR4 is also somewhat expensive at the moment too.

For longevity the Ryzen option is preferable to AM3+.

TRENDING THREADS