Do I need to buy Windows 10 again when I upgrade my pre built pc

gz3

Apr 14, 2018
Hi,
I'm thinking to upgrade my pre built pc with Windows 10. It's the Acer aspire tc-220. Components I want to replace are the motherboard, a new processor and a new graphics card. Do I need to buy Windows 10 again?

-Quinten

Solution
Did it come with win 10 pre installed? If it did, there is a good chance the license is tied to the motherboard and big OEM like Acer have special licenses that are tied to motherboard, and cannot be moved. If that is the case, you will need to buy Win 10 again.

Have a look in settings/update & security/activation
if it says "Windows is activated with a digital license" then it is currently tied to motherboard
If it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" then its attached to your email address and you can move it to a new motherboard.

If it is tied to motherboard, try the 1st step of this and see if you can tie it to an email account -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did it come with win 10 pre installed? If it did, there is a good chance the license is tied to the motherboard and big OEM like Acer have special licenses that are tied to motherboard, and cannot be moved. If that is the case, you will need to buy Win 10 again.

Have a look in settings/update & security/activation
if it says "Windows is activated with a digital license" then it is currently tied to motherboard
If it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" then its attached to your email address and you can move it to a new motherboard.

If it is tied to motherboard, try the 1st step of this and see if you can tie it to an email account - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change and then do 2nd part when you reinstall on new motherboard.

Solution

Magnus Thunderson

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
tied to the motherboards is very gray area and Intel keys work on a only certain version of on OS work with certain keys and yes you can get the run around but keep fighting but it will be between the PC builder and Intel and if you fight hard enough you get get it. is will it be worth the time to do it