Web development, where to start?

IrishLaad

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hi.

Im studying computer science in uni at the moment and i am doing quite a bit of front end web dev in it.

I want to take it outside uni and start to set up some static websites for local businesses. I've been complemented on mine by teachers and would like to put the skills to the test.

Basically what I want to know is what is the best way to go about designing websites for multiple clients. I can create a website and host it on amazon for a good rate. How do I manage multiple clients, should I create an account for each client or can I manage multiple websites and divide the hosting charges among clients?

I also manage a wordpress website at the moment, it uses a shop and a database of local suppliers. Amazon lightsail allows access to wordpress through their service but again can I control multiple clients from one account?

What is the best way to approach this whole thing. Sorry if im not being clear. Any advice at all is appreciated.

Regards.

Solution
Keep all charges for all clients separate.

Soon or later some client will figure out (by intention or accident) a way to grab a larger share of the web-hosting than what they are paying for.

If you have no way to collect then the money would need to come from other clients (not good) and/or your own pocket (not good either).

Contract your work client by client with all services, charges, and fees clearly written out and quantified.

You will soon learn that 20% of your clients will account for 80% of your time and costs.

And if the client is a bigger business you will be last on their list to be paid.

By maintaining separate client accounts you will be able to quickly spot those clients paying late, underpaying, or otherwise taking...

Ralston18

Titan
Keep all charges for all clients separate.

Soon or later some client will figure out (by intention or accident) a way to grab a larger share of the web-hosting than what they are paying for.

If you have no way to collect then the money would need to come from other clients (not good) and/or your own pocket (not good either).

Contract your work client by client with all services, charges, and fees clearly written out and quantified.

You will soon learn that 20% of your clients will account for 80% of your time and costs.

And if the client is a bigger business you will be last on their list to be paid.

By maintaining separate client accounts you will be able to quickly spot those clients paying late, underpaying, or otherwise taking advantage of you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS