Massive ping spikes on Wired connection

emilasdfg

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I have all of a sudden started getting MASSIVE ping spikes which I have never had before. The spikes seem to come at random and range from 200 up to 1000 lasting for probably less than a second. This is utterly wrecking my CS:GO games. My ping used to be a sold 5-15, now it's anything from 15 to 65, completely volatile and I get rubberbanding and teleporting. The high spikes don't even appear in-game. I'm on a wired connection.

I checked on http://www.meter.net/ping-test/ which is the only way so far that I've been able to see my ping actually going from something like 9ms to 847ms very briefly before returning back to normal.

How do I troubleshoot this, as I have no idea what is causing this? I've tried changing the ethernet cable to a new one but same problem occurs.

Let a constant ping run to your router IP. It should quickly show if the problem is inside or outside your house.

After that you can try something like pathping but it may or may not show anything if the problem does not happen often.

You could call your ISP and see if you get lucky but if the problem is not in the connection between your house and the ISP the first level techs you talk to will see nothing and not be able to help.

If it is farther into the network it may be hard to get fixed since there can be multiple ISP involved

emilasdfg

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

I've done this (if you mean: ping 192.168.0.1 -t) and it constantly returns 1ms so what does that mean?

It means that the router itself your pc and the cables are not the problem. So pretty much now you need to determine if it is the connection between your house and the ISP or it is something farther into the network.