Good PC is running slowly

Apr 16, 2018
Hi. I have a GTX 1060 3gb, i5-4460, 12GB DDR3 RAM and a 1tb HDD and a 500GB HDD. My computer has been running really slowly recently, and I was wondering if there is something that I should look into in order to fix it. Open applications is slow and things like opening search bar and start menu take forever. Is there anything I should try?

Solution
FWIW - This past Thursday my 4460 with a 1050Ti just started slowing down and an hour later it just kept freezing up.

Tried repairs and even a clean install but it did not take.

Picked up an SSD, disconnected old HDD, installed Windows, and after all the updates re-connected the old HDD.

There was some type of Windows/HDD corruption on the old HDD and it was fixed automatically. All my old files are there and everything is running like new.

I initially thought it was a HDD failure.

Don't know if that helps but just something similar.
What has changed?
Windows 10 has been known to push out less than optimal graphics drivers,

Download and install the latest graphics drivers directly from Nvidia.

You could have been infected with malware.
Run malwarebytes free edition to check.

Or... use system restore to go back to a point when all was well.

Lastly, try to put a ssd in your plans for windows; it makes everything do much quicker.

Apr 16, 2018

I have installed the latest drivers and have scanned for malware to no avail. I think it MIGHT be a failing hard drive.

FWIW - This past Thursday my 4460 with a 1050Ti just started slowing down and an hour later it just kept freezing up.

Tried repairs and even a clean install but it did not take.

Picked up an SSD, disconnected old HDD, installed Windows, and after all the updates re-connected the old HDD.

There was some type of Windows/HDD corruption on the old HDD and it was fixed automatically. All my old files are there and everything is running like new.

I initially thought it was a HDD failure.

Don't know if that helps but just something similar.

Solution

FiggyHunter

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Think about getting an SSD,if you experience Windows lag (slow opening of programs,slow booting,below average web-browsing etc.)
On the other hand, if you are experiencing lag in games i would recommend installing DriverEasy. You should update all of your drivers that are pending for an update. Try switching to high performance in power settings.
If you suspect that your HDD might be failing load up your bios and turn on S.M.A.R.T for both of your HDD's and see what will come up. You can google how to do this. Best of luck in fixing your computer!