2018 Samsung QLED 3,840 × 2,160 4 TV with a GTX 1080 display port--> HDMI only getting 30FPS

Skuzzlebutt

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Hi there knowledgeable people, Recently got a new 75 inch 2018 Samsung 4k TV. Its top notch and supposedly is supposed to support 4K at 60hz but when I hook up up from my MSI 1080 to the TV via a display port to HMDI adapter (since for some reason TVs dont have display ports yet) I am not able to get the native 4k resolution @ 60hz...? i jumped into GTAV and played with the settings, 4k resolution? YES. 30Hz? YES. but when i change it in game to refresh rate of 60Hz its gets super distorted and green and pink and stretches the image (but it does 60hz though :p) why is it that changing the refresh rate in game would cause that and what am i doing wrong here?? my adapter might be the issue but from what ive read i highly doubt it. The HDMI cable is a 10 foot Supposedly 4k cable so i doubt thats the issue either? I really need someone to point me in the right direction here cause i know this card is able to put out the 4k at 60fps. Really appreciate all help.

CPU: Intel i7-6850k
MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
RAM: 32gb Dominator Platinum Corsair
Storage: 500GB M.2 and 2TB SSD samsung

Doesn't your GPU have an HDMI port? Just use an HDMI 2.0 cable.

Otherwise you need an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter and HDMI 2.0 cable.

Active Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8/
HDMI 2.0 Cable: https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-UHD-2-0-Ready/dp/B01CRA11IU/

Skuzzlebutt

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

Hey dont you need to use a display port to put out the 4k @ 60hz? I thought you had to be coming out a display port for it to work?

Skuzzlebutt

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

No option for me with this TV. Its really weird i made sure to choose the TV and it does have the 4k native res and also the 60hz option selected. but for gtaV as soon as i click 60hz refresh rate it goes to crap :/

The GeForce GTX 1080 should natively support HDMI 2.0b. It should do 4k@60Hz if you use an HDMI 2.0 cable into an HDMI 2.0 device. Any modern 4K TV should have HDMI 2.0 ports. As I recall the first models didn't.

You might need to tweak some settings on the TV and the nVidia Control Panel. Most notably you'll want to disable overscan on the input for your PC. Also turn off any automatic function like Auto Motion, enhanced contrast, noise filtering, sharpness enhancements, &c. I think some TVs have a PC mode which will disable all that stuff. While I turn them off on every input. As I hate the soap opera effect. It looks really odd on a PC.

Skuzzlebutt

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

My TV has a lot of different modes and it knew that i had plugged a PC into it and not an xbox or something. so i have it set to that. If you think it would help its the Samsung Q7F 75" I mean i have gone into the settings for display and it does say that i have 60Hz checked and the nativ resolution. im really stumped here but i spent so much on this cause they said it does go to 60hz :/ i know on the Xbox one X it will at 4k so my darn 1080 should too :(

Skuzzlebutt

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

Actually i have the cable that you posted a link to :p its the 15 foot version. Im on hold with Samsung support also trying to figure this out too. i do appreciate the timely responses, i wasnt expecting it.