System possibly corrupted

QuickyTime

Honorable
Dec 27, 2014
Hey everyone,

My mothers PC is having critical issues, before trying a system restore to a previous
months version, the start menu was locked, it would give an explorer error when trying
to access any documents, the only thing that would work was the browser and a few Unimportant
programs but pretty much else returned a error.

Problem there is I couldn't access the windows logs to see the errors and
go from there, it just wouldn't let me.

So we tried a system restore as it was the only option aside from a complete reinstall,
the first one failed to work so we tried a months previous restore point and it seemed to be
working until it restarted saying it was completed successfully, but it then gave a BSOD
wile trying to boot into the login screen and continues to do that.

I would say a reinstall would be best but she doesn't want to lose all her stuff on there(she forgot
to backup her stuff)and I don't have any real knowledge of data recovery.

If any of you all have any ideas I would totally appreciate it. thanks

Solution
Get yourself a USB hard drive enclosure that fits the hard drive. If it is a desktop, then likely you have a 3.5" hard drive, if it is a laptop, you have a 2.5" drive. USB hard drive enclosures come in either of those sizes.
Open your Mom's PC and take the drive out. Put it in the USB enclosure, hook it up to another PC and then you can access her data and copy it.

Once you have her data backed up safely, with the drive still connected to another PC, scan the drive using Seatools for Windows, do the short scans and if no errors do the long scan. If no errors then the drive is probably okay to use.

At this point you can try to use Windows repair tools by putting the drive back in her PC and booting it using a Windows disc either on DVD...

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Get yourself a USB hard drive enclosure that fits the hard drive. If it is a desktop, then likely you have a 3.5" hard drive, if it is a laptop, you have a 2.5" drive. USB hard drive enclosures come in either of those sizes.
Open your Mom's PC and take the drive out. Put it in the USB enclosure, hook it up to another PC and then you can access her data and copy it.

Once you have her data backed up safely, with the drive still connected to another PC, scan the drive using Seatools for Windows, do the short scans and if no errors do the long scan. If no errors then the drive is probably okay to use.

At this point you can try to use Windows repair tools by putting the drive back in her PC and booting it using a Windows disc either on DVD or USB.

Solution