Need help choosing RAM (first build)

Apr 17, 2018
Hello, I'm just ordering part for my first ever build and I cant quiet decide on the RAM im going to go with, so I figured I would get some opinions.

I'll be building on a MSI Z370 SLI PLUS Motherboard

I cant decide between:
ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz CL16
(AX4U300038G16-DRZ) $200.00

ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
(AX4U300038G16-DRG) $225.00

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15
(CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) $250.00

I know that the corsair is slightly beter because it has a lower latency, but I'm just wondering if its worth it to cough up the extra dough.
I don't want to cheap out but I don't want to spend an extra 20% if I wont notice a difference in performance
All I know is that I want 16gb DDR4 @ at least 3000Mhz.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions! Im also open to RAM not included on my list

^^I concur with that: a 25% cost premium is not worth anything you would see out of that at the user level. You'd need processional benchmarking software to see it and it would really be only an improvement on paper. Not in the real world.

By the way: I assume you have cleared these memory kits as being listed on your motherboard's memory QVL list.

Apr 17, 2018

Okay thank you very much.
Ummm well the thing about that is... I did check with my motherboard, its compatible with that type and frequency of RAM, but when I look in the list of tested kits they weren't in there.
Similar kits by the same manufacturers were listed.
I was lead to believe that those lists are not a complete and comprehensive list and I would probably be okay...
What do you think? only go with definite listed kits?

Apr 17, 2018

Thanks.
Hey did you calculate response time or find it listed somewhere?

Well it doesn't mean they won't work. It just means they weren't tested at the factory by the motherboard maker beforehand. Odds are they will work especially if the same voltage (that's the number one key to look for). But there are no guarantees. If your store has a good return policy, give them a try. I've probably had two builds that failed from memory not being on the QVL list. And I've built a LOT of them. But, the chance is still there.

Apr 17, 2018
Well it doesn't mean they won't work. It just means they weren't tested at the factory by the motherboard maker beforehand. Odds are they will work especially if the same voltage (that's the number one key to look for). But there are no guarantees. If your store has a good return policy, give them a try. I've probably had two builds that failed from memory not being on the QVL list. And I've built a LOT of them. But, the chance is still there. [/quotemsg]

Thanks again!
In the meantime I found an even better kit. Corsair 3200Mhz CAS16 for $203.99 Plus its red and low profile.
Still not on the QVL but I'll gamble on it because I cant find any of the listed ones lol.
Voltage is the thing to look out for eh? thanks for the tip.
I Should be okay as I see other 1.35v 3200Mhz dual DDR4 16gb kits listed

Yep, if that's the voltage on similar modules on the list, I have about a 95% confidence it will work. There are so many memory options out there it's enough to make anyone's head spin finding a balance between price/performance/compatibility.

1/memory clock*cl rating
3000mhz ddr4 runs at 1500mhz,

1/1500M*15 = 10ns
1/1500M*16 = 10.67ns