Computer freezes after booting, and when scanning for hardware changes

spacexjunk

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Have this strange issue where my computer freezes completely after I boot it up. I'll boot it up, and while I'm on the Windows login page, the computer will freeze randomly after a few minutes. I'll have to manually power off the computer by holding the tower's power button, and then power it back on. After I boot it a second time, the computer boots up just fine.

Basically, in order for me to use my computer, I have to boot it up, let it freeze, power it off, and then the 2nd time it boots, it works just fine.

I have also noticed that every time I go into the device manager, and select the "Scan for Hardware Changes" under "Actions", it loads for a few seconds, and then freezes my computer entirely. This happens every time you select "Scan for Hardware Changes".

I have attempted to uninstall/reinstall most of the USB drivers, reinstalled the GPU drivers, sound drivers, etc. I also booted up the computer with nothing plugged into the USB ports except the keyboard and mouse, same issue. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Thank you!

Specs:

Nvidia GTX 1070 - Gigabyte G1
M.2 Samsung 950 pro 256 gb
Intel Core I-7 6700k
Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 motherboard
G. skill ripjaws DDR4 3200 16gb
Windows 10

spacexjunk

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Whenever I go into the BIOS, the MHz on my ram is defaulted to 2133, but there's an option to manually over clock the ram which I've done in the past before without any problems. All my overclock settings are defaulted as well currently. Another note, I've had this computer for roughly 2 years. This problem started occurring about a year and some months in, so I'm not sure what changes could've occurred to cause this, but the computer booted up just fine the first year I had it. All the hardware inside has been the same since I built it, except I switched out the radiator fans to my CPU watercooler to some Noctuas because Corsair factory fans are trash. Didn't notice any changes then either. Could it still be the RAM in this case?

Frankenchokey

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I can't fully confirm, but I'm having the same issue. Have you recently added any new hardware? This only started happening for me when I installed a new hdd.
The issue is potentially with where the new hardware was with the sata ports on the motherboard, I read one person saying they switched their DVD drive to a different sata port and the problem stopped.