New ad format breaks mobile browsing

coolestcarl

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Dear Tom's Hardware,
Your new ad format is full page and creates a header navigation bar that obscures the x to close the ad. Therefore I can't read any Tom's hardware articles articles on my phone anymore. Android oreo. Chrome browser. Sony XZ.

Please fix. Or I just have to quit reading Tom's hardware on my phone.
Thanks.
Long suffering customer

There's ads on this site?

Toms typically doesn't listen anyways, they do lots of annoying things, asking for your email every time you visit the site, etc.

I'd recommend you block advertisements anyways, you are on Android, there are multiple ways to do it, even if you don't want to root. Lots of browsers have this built in, such as Dolphin.

I'm viewing the desktop site and I don't have this issue, OP 5T, Android 5T, I can't stand mobile sites.

Some websites allow you to go into the desktop version on your mobile which is great if you have a 2560x1440 large screen phone. Unfortunately Tom's does not have that override option and the mobile browser version is way different and much harder to navigate than the PC website interface. But I see no ads with ABP in either case and I'm running an older Note 5 which hasn't been upgraded to Oreo yet by my carrier (still on Nougat the slackers!).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I keep running into some script based ad that fails to load. Locks the browser for about two minutes before the home page loads. Then I click an article, what does it do, ask me to sign up, then loads that page even though I don't want it to go there. To get back to the home page guess what ad it decides to try and reload.

I don't use adblock because I want them to have revenue, but it is getting to that point with all the stupid auto playing videos. (Mind you the same ones, every single time, that I still haven't watched out of annoyance)