PC FREEZE\DEADLOCKING unable to fix?

Apr 19, 2018
I'm a huge newbie with this so you'll have to bare with me. I've tried a lot of solutions and they are as follows:

Windows Memory Test - Came back fine.
Reliability History - Tells me my PC unexpectedly shut down; this was due to me hard resetting it when it froze.
BIOS - Doesn't freeze in the BIOS setup.

My computer also doesn't overheat(worth noting I only have a CPU fan in my build, but it does freeze when the case its open regardless); the temperatures are pretty standard all around (GPU hits 70 degrees when gaming.) I've tried slotting the ram in every slot separately and it still freezes. I have 16GB, 4x4 sticks, 2 separate brands. Tried both together and separately.
Here are my specs:

AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight Core Processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
16GB Ram
Silent Pro 700W PSU
Samsung 120GB SSD
TOSHIBA 1TB HDD
ASUS M5A97LE R2.0 MoBo

I also use two monitors, my main monitor is an ASUS 144Hz 1ms that is plugged in via HDMI into the GTX 960. My second monitor is a ACER plugged in by VGA. It's worth noting that these freezes happen more often during gameplay i.e. when I play The Long Dark OR Rocket League & Runescape 3 at the same time. I want to try testing other PSU's and Video/GPU's as well, but alas, do I not have spares for either. I'm considering buying a new GPU to see if it still freezes with the new one. Also I have not touched my HDD or SSD.

Please ask as many questions as you need to, I've never had so much issues with my PC before! I've probably missed something important so I hope you can help me. This problem is fairly recent but has gotten more frequent.

Many Thanks In Advance,

Andy.

Two mismatched sets of RAM (even different brands) isn't a good idea. Make sure that the matched RAM is in color coded slots.

Try changing the temperature ramp on the graphics card to lower the temps. Set the 100% at 60C and set the lowest point at 35-40 C. I would turn the quiet fan option off.

I would also download and install the latest graphics driver from GeForce.com.

Try those steps to stop the freezes.

Next step, remove one of the matched sets of RAM.

Another possibility is the operating system. Often freezes are software related. If you have the system disc, you can try a repair update of the operating system.

Lastly a fresh install of the operating system stands a good chance of fixing it if other steps have failed.

The last alternative is to update the BIOS.

Apr 19, 2018

How do I change the temperatures? Also I have only one brand of RAM in my PC now both slotted in the black slots on my mob, still freezes. Will try updates on my drivers now. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2018

I got MSI Afterburner, but I'm struggling with the interface. Where do I navigate to change the temperature?

Here is a YouTube video on setting up your custom fan temperature ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf9_DTKpPkY

With an FX-8350 you should be using a matched pair of 1866MHz memory.

Your current memory is too slow at 1333MHz and are two random modules. Memory sold as single modules is not guaranteed to be compatible if combined in multiples.

Replacing the memory and setting the memory parameters in BIOS should fix your freezing.
1) Memory Clock Speed
2) DRAM timings
3) DRAM voltage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-HX318C10FBK2-Memory-Module-Black/dp/B00J8E90I2/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1524197960&sr=1-3&keywords=1866mhz+ddr3+2x4GB+kit

The memory that he linked were 1066 MHz not 1333 MHz. But it is supported by the motherboard. The FX-8350 supports memory up to 1866 MHz (possible overclocks at higher frequencies).

But I agree 1066 MHz memory is really low "speed " memory.