Ryzen 7 2700x Or The i9-7900x For A Gaming & Streaming Build.

Mar 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all can help me with deciding something. I need to decide on a CPU to go with for a gaming and streaming build. I've come down to deciding between 2 CPUs, the Ryzen 7 2700x and the i9-7900x. I want to be able to play games at max settings/near max settings and live stream at the same time while not having to worry about performance issues.

Money isn't really an issue for me which is why I was more leaning towards going with the i9-7900x, but I also know that it can run really hot. I have an idea of what to go with for cooling, which is to go with the NZXT Kraken x62 AIO and replace the stock radiator fans with fans that can cool better, but I'm unsure if that will be enough.

Let me know what you guys think.
-Dooplis

Definitely not I9.

If you have no money concern, I will suggest 8700k + 1080ti gaming pc + a dedicated streaming PC. No matter what CPU you get, streaming will occupy resources and impact CPU. A good guide for dedicated streaming pc by James Mason: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3299336/building-dedicated-streaming.html

It does not need to be powerful. If you have an old pc, you may use that as streaming pc with a capture card. Even a normal I5 laptop may suffice too.

Mar 20, 2018

Funny you mention that b/c that was my original plan. I built a gaming rig last September and I was using my main PC, an HP Pavilion desktop, to stream. My main PC isn't powerful enough though b/c while I'm streaming, I couldn't really do
anything else like open up an internet browser, it would just take too long. The reason I decided to lean more towards doing a single PC gaming and streaming setup because it's kind of a headache to manage audio from 2 PCs and capture the audio for both in OBS.

Mar 20, 2018

The monitor that I play games on at the moment is only 60hz, but in the near future I'm planning on getting a monitor that has a higher refresh rate so I'm able to do at least 120fps.

The 7900X *might* have an edge sometimes, if you can keep it cool, and, after spending $350 extra on monster watercooling to accomplish it, on top of the $700 more expensive CPU, but, I doubt the few percentage points shaved off of video encoding time will seem worth the added $1000 expense....

Mar 20, 2018

Good point, I was thinking of going with the NZXT Kraken X62 for cooling and maybe replacing the stock radiator fans with fans that can cool a bit better. I just decided to go with the 7900x as one of the 2 options b/c it would be able to give me the performance I'm looking for, but the only potential issue I had with that the 7900x was that I read on a few posts that it can be a problem heat wise.

Mar 20, 2018

The i7-8700k looks like a good CPU, but I feel like it might not get the performance I want.

Mar 20, 2018

I'll take it into consideration, I just really don't know tbh. I just want something where I don't have to worry about any performance issues on either side.

If money is no concern then get a really good internet connection with high upload and use a GPU for streaming.
On a intel build you could use the iGPU which isn't doing anything anyway,for nvidia nvnec has close to zero impact and even AMD has hardware encoding.

No matter how many cores you get and how fast they are,games that can use all available cores will do so while video encoding uses all cores anyway,no matter how many cores you have there will always be conflict because both things you want to do can use all of your cores.

Your GPU might be constricting the use of too many cores in games right now but that will change in the future.

Mar 20, 2018

What I'm basically going to be doing is taking my Gaming PC that I built back in September and replacing the CPU and motherboard to what ever CPU I decide to go with and a motherboard to go with it. The GPU I have in my have in my gaming PC is a 10800 TI, and I have 32 GB of RAM. Are you sure GPU encoding is the only way? I've heard of people doing GPU encoding, but that's only a small amount of people, everybody else I now used CPU encoding.

It's not the only way,but it's the way that will give you the least performance drop,with your 1080ti you could even stream at 1440 or even at 4k/60FPS without having to worry about CPU cycles or your FPS dropping.The only thing that will limit you will be your upload speed.

Mar 20, 2018

That could work, I'll take that into consideration for when it comes time to choose. I will say that I don't think 4k streaming is possible yet, I have heard that it might be possible if you have a beast rig or something like that though. I think I'm good on my upload too, I have 30 up and 300 down, plus my ISP, Cox Digital Cable, started providing unlimited bandwidth back in December.

Apr 13, 2018
Hey what about the Ryzen Threadripper CPU. I was reading that it can handle Streaming/Gaming/SurfingInternet/VideoEditing etc all at the same time. Just a thought maybe im wrong.

Mar 20, 2018

I was considering the Threadripper at first, but when I was researching it, I came across several posts saying that they experienced performance issues when uses it to stream and game at the same time.