which cpu for gaming plus streaming?

Apr 22, 2018
im wanting to attempt to build my very first pc. it is going to be solely for gaming and also streaming simultaneously. i have been researching for weeks and im trying to get the most cost efficient pc i can get for 1080p gaming with over 100fps on most competitve esports games (mobas,shooters,mmos) is a 8700k completely necessary? or will a ryzen 7 1700x do the trick? also i dont know much about how overclocking works and if it is necessary for me to even do that for what i want? any help would be greatly appreciated. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($346.69 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($584.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($170.18 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer - Predator XB2 24.5" 1920x1080 240Hz Monitor ($480.93 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spark Wired Gaming Keyboard ($117.95 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G903 Wireless Optical Mouse ($112.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $2446.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-24 07:39 EDT-0400

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Practically any modern CPU could stream. If you want to deliver the best streaming experience, you need a CPU that has multiple fast cores. The 8700K is a great streaming CPU. Will deliver essentially every frame to the stream at 1080p 10Mbps faster using x264 encoding in any game. If you want to lower the quality settings, you could get away with a cheaper CPU like the 8600K. They will deliver incredible gaming performance alongside a great streaming experience.

To be honest, if you could wait, I'd recommend waiting for Nvidia's next gen to build a PC.

Apr 22, 2018

i definitely want to stream at 1080p as apposed to 720p. but honestly why do i need to wait? i dont plan to go up to 1440p or 4k for my pc, i have my consoles for 4k. also i dont want to spend over $2600. if i wait wont the new stuff just be more expensive? also you didnt answer if the 8700k is necessary over a ryzen, or if overclocking is necessary as well?

caqde

Distinguished
For Streaming I would suggest looking at GamersNexus's R7 2700(X) review as they covered Streaming between the 2700X and 8700K. From their review the 8700K was showing signs of not being able to handle the workload. Although it produced a better Gaming experience on the Player's side without Overclocking it couldn't keep up on the viewers side when rendering the stream. So if streaming is your goal and the viewer is your priority (which would seem likely). An AMD based 2700X system might be a better option.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3287-amd-r7-2700-and-2700x-review-game-streaming-cpu-benchmarks-memory/page-2

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
You can't stream at 1440p, let alone 4K without having an insanely fast internet connection and a separate streaming box. It's too demanding.

The 2600X and the 2700X are on par with each other when it comes to realistic streaming. 1080p 10Mbps faster. The 8700K is between them. They're practically around each other.

The 8600K is worse than them at the same settings above, so with it, you'd need to lower the quality settings of the stream a bit. However, it provides a considerably better gaming experience than the 2600X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDggr3kt96Q

There's a video on streaming. It's quite demanding though I assume that's CPU ENCODING (not GPU hardware encoding) that is taxing the CPU so much.

A 6-core Ryzen is barely enough for some types of gaming + streaming. An 8-core would help, but I'd then get the i7-8700K instead. Even though it's "only" a 6-core CPU the i7-8700K is faster (especially if further overclocked) per core so even if both CPU's were used 100% the i7-2700X would barely win.

So the i7-8700K is the best gaming CPU you can buy for streaming.

Further overclocking may not be necessary. The Noctua NH-D15S is a really great air cooler which can manage to maintain 5GHz on the i7-8700K (may vary depending on ambient room temp etc).

*I see a 240Hz monitor so you want high FPS gaming? If so you want the best performance per core, with at least six cores (streaming) so again the i7-8700K.

**Personally I'd up the budget and go for a monitor with THESE SPECS:

27"
IPS
144Hz+
2560x1440
GSYNC

Spending a shit-tonne of money on a gaming rig but then only have 1080p (to get high Hz I guess) and TN panel (not best color) isn't what I'd do.

144Hz is still incredibly responsive, especially if you say cap the game to 140FPS to stay inside GSYNC. Either game at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 but 100FPS+ with GSYNC is great for shooters.

Really rapidly diminishing returns with FPS at some point. So that's what I'd do.

EXAMPLE GSYNC MONITOR: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ttnG3C/acer-monitor-xb271hubmiprz

Apr 22, 2018

would i still be able to maintain over 100fps on most mobas and competitive shooters like league of legends and overwatch,and atleast 60fps in games like hunt showdown??

Apr 22, 2018

you make some good solid points. the only reason i went with a TN and 240hz is because i heard it was the most responsive and the acer predator and asus rog 24.5 are ranked in the top pc monitors

The i7-8700K is only "between" those two Ryzen CPU's if you assume very high usage of the R7-2700X thus taking full or almost full advantage of all eight cores... the i7-8700K sometimes gets 40% higher FPS than the R7-2700X (both CPU's overclocked to max) due to its higher perf per core.

I think both at 100% and OC'd in Blender has the R7-2700X about 4% faster.

*I realize the case chosen is WINDOWED heavily so a Noctua air cooler isn't a great idea but a Cryorig H7 isn't even close to enough... you should be going for something like a Kraken X62 AIO (liquid cooler) or THIS air cooler which is less ugly than Noctua's and overclock as high as you can while keeping under 80degC in sustained real-world usage (i.e. Handbrake, Blender, but not artitifical tests like Prime95 which run too hot).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022

Not sure how much overclock you can get. Probably at least 4.6GHz all cores

(I really, really hate that CASE... a WINDOW on the right side too? It may look cool in pictures but wait until you have to do cable management, get fingerprints etc. you might not like it so much then.)

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
False. Skylake-X is the do it all lineup. The 7900X for example would do a better job at gaming and streaming.

Could even push it to 5.2GHz no problem with a good chip, provided you delid.

Apr 22, 2018

pretty sure he mean the best cpu I can use within my budget.

caqde

Distinguished

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. The 2700X is more than capable of maintaining those framerates with those types of games. You obviously won't get as high of framerates in certain games as you would with the 8700K. But it would still allow for >100FPS gaming at 1080P. And I did see someone post a video of the R7 1700 + GTX 1080 getting ~60FPS in hunt showdown. So I'd say that the R7 2700X with it's much higher clockspeeds should have no issue there.

Apr 22, 2018

by all means,give me some suggestions. better case,cooler,gpu,cpu,mobo,power supply,etc. lol. im all about saving money on the aesthetics. i just want to be able to game and stream at the same time without losing any or much performance on either end.

"you make some good solid points. the only reason i went with a TN and 240hz is because i heard it was the most responsive."

1) first, TN at 1ms is not noticeably more responsive than a 4ms IPS panel.
People are confusing input latency with response times. A 1ms response time means this is how long it takes a pixel to change color (more of an average). You can't detect a 3/1000 second difference in how long it takes the screen to change color.

It matters only to prevent ghosting/blurring but at 4ms it's almost impossible to detect this anyway (and the higher the Hz rate at the same response time the less blur there is).

IPS is better color than TN, so long story short the best monitors are 4ms IPS with higher Hz (for now).

2) 240Hz is more responsive than 144Hz, but IMO not enough to justify the tradeoffs, especially being limited to 1920x1080 which makes many games look less pretty, and of course the DESKTOP has less pixels.. it's also a 24" screen which is much smaller than 27" (try going with 27" then go back to 24").

3) GSYNC really does rock, but I'll let you Google that.

The best SHOOTER experience given the available choices to me would be:

2560x1440, GSYNC, 100FPS+

Unless you are some competitive gamer I wouldn't bother investigating if a 240Hz monitor had some advantage in responsiveness over say 140FPS GSYNC... plus, you'll still have difficulty going over 140FPS in most games anyway, and even if you can you may have to sacrifice a lot of visual fidelity.

Apr 22, 2018

i mean yea i aim to be competitive and would much like to get into esports heavily. i just heard 1080 is better than 1440 for competitive because you dont have to move your eyes as much to look at the edges of the screen. and that acer predator does have gsync if im not mistaken.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
The 2700X is the better CPU at streaming. In realistic conditions, the 8700K is just as good.

Also, the 8700K should hit 4.9-5GHz at least. I'd recommend an NH-U14S with it.

Didn't phrase it like that.

Just go with an Fractal Design/Phanteks case, a Noctua cooler (NH-U14S), a Corsair power supply, an ASUS motherboard (best BIOS out there), an EVGA GPU (they make the best GPUs IMO).

The i9-7900X is a 10-core CPU and it also performs worse than an i7-8700K not better. Unless you need more than what the i7-8700K has to offer which is unlikely.

The i9-7900X also has issues that can drop the FPS noticeable in some games due to the changes needed (buffering/registers etc) to manage ten cores.

So for the i9-7900X to be better than an i7-8700K you'd need:

1) delid etc to clock higher
2) demanding workload that needs more than an i7-8700K can handle
3) game is not being limited by the way the i9 moves data

You'll also pay at least $600 more for the system, possibly $800+ depending on motherboard and CPU cooler costs so no it's not a good choice.

UPDATE:
No, the R7-2700X is not the better choice for streaming. You keep making assumptions that you'd use enough of its processing that the eight slower cores trumps six faster cores. That's going to be pretty hard to do.

And again some games get 40% higher performance (i7-8700K at 5GHz vs R7-2700X at 4.2GHz) due to the higher perf per core of the i7-8700K.

The NH-U14S is insufficient for the i7-8700K at higher clocks. The NH-D15S is what you want:

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
In gaming (1080p), the 7900X is only a bit slower than the 8700K with both properly tuned. However, in gaming and streaming, it performs, by far, better.

You'd need to delid the 8700K as well to extract all of its performance.

You're not going to pay $800 for the motherboard and the cooler. You're absolutely bonkers.

The 2700X is better at streaming. Take a look at this page. The 8700K keeps up at 10Mbps faster, but it's certainly not better. And it falls behind when it comes to 12Mbps medium.

You should peg the 8700K at 5.2-5.3GHz cause that's around as hard as getting 4.2GHz on the 2700X.

Also, no. The NH-U14S can perfectly handle a mildly overclocked 8700K. With a delid, the U14S would be enough.

BUILD:
My only big changes over the original build would be:

1) different case (play around with PCPARTPICKER) but a lot of that is personal preference

2) different cooler (I prefer the Noctua NH-D15S for most top-end CPU's but it's fan is brown... but again I don't like windowed cases)

3) *GTX1070 Asus Strix is a good graphics card but unfortunately prices are slightly high right now.. not much we can do about that. We have little idea about next-gen NVidia architecture changes and pricing though.

4) Monitor: to me that's the most important part and I've given my recommendations there.

*for all other parts I'd just look close at reviews, user feedback to see if there are any obvious reliability issues. Nothing stood out.

Optional:
This Samsung M.2 SSD is more expensive ($200 for 500GB so $60 more?) but it has significantly higher performance (on PAPER such as 3200MBps vs 530MBps). Having said that I'm not sure if it would make much if any real-world difference. So I'd probably NOT recommend it but I'll still mention it anyway:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ykbkcf/samsung-960-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e500

Apr 22, 2018

dude you seem extremely knowledgable in this and if you could please pick me out a full build i would greatly appreciate it. im getting $4000 from winning a tera console launch giveaway grandprize (still in shock lol) and i want to build my first rig while spending as little of that money as possible while playing the games i want competitively(so if a tn 240hz is truly better for competitve i would prefer that for now and maybe upgrade to 1440 later) (also like i said mostly mobas and hunt showdown and other shooters) at the highest fps i can get lol.

Apr 22, 2018

the 960 evo was the original m.2 that i had picked out but changed it to the crucial to save on cost.

Apr 22, 2018

also why the d15s over the d15?

Last response:
1) I don't recommend delidding to most people
2) i9-7900X is "far, far better..." ? Pretty hard to imagine many situations where the i7-8700K doesn't have enough processing power but whatever. I'm done with that.

3) $800 includes the extra cost of the i9-7900X which is over $900 by itself
4) *Yes, at 12Mbps/Medium the R7-2700X pulls ahead in this test.. I don't know why but that's just one data point.. you have to balance that with the higher FPS that the i7-8700K gets at other times due to its higher perf per core.

On top of all these points remember you can do a GPU ENCODING (i.e. NVENC) method which has little to no affect on CPU usage at all anyway... this test is basically pushing the CPU to the limit for FPS but also using unused CPU threads to encode the video.

I've encoded via NVENC and can't even tell the difference visually between that and the game. So let's summarize those two CPU's:

1) i7-8700K wins any time it's not completely overwhelmed, sometimes up to 40%
2) R7-2700X can win but I'm not sure you'll see many real-world situations that mirror this 12Mbps benchmark (I'm also curious why the difference), and

3) GPU encoding makes these streaming differences moot. Thus again it's the higher perf-per-core that flat-out wins.

I'll admit again I didn't know there were situations where the R7-2700X pulled that far ahead but it in no way changes my opinion as to what's the best gaming + streaming CPU since the total picture matters not just some specific use cases.

caqde

Distinguished

Where have you seen this 40% that seems like a major outlier. Most of the time I'm seeing maybe a high of 20% and on the average of 12%. With minimum's and 0.1% minimums at a much lower difference sometimes even at a loss. On average the FPS difference is 10% at most.

Also you both (photonboy/gon freecss) mention overclocking does the OP want to risk Overclocking? Personally as a PC user I'd rather get my system running, run the XMP profile on my memory and play my games.

For the Ryzen system another thing to take into consideration is cost. Ryzen comes with a very good stock cooler that gives good temps with their XFR2 which is as good as or better than a 4.2Ghz all-core overclocking of the CPU. (Actually memory OC seems to be better for gaming on Ryzen for better performance). For instance Computerbase.de shows AMD with 3466 and low level timings getting within 5% of the 8700K with similar memory speed and timings from a 11% with stock memory speeds.

Of note. Benchmark sites typically don't have much running in the background when gaming and as such background tasks running can effect performance. Intel's i7-8700K may be ok with running streaming in a sterile environment, but that does not account for a user's cluttered machine with who knows what running.

Apr 22, 2018
why does it have to be this complicated Dx lol. ok,i ask all 3 of you if you dont mind sparing the time.. i would greatly appreciate if you all will please make me a build on pcpartpicker and post it. as long as someone doesnt leave my broadcast because they are unpleased with the quality than i am happy with whichever cpu is cheaper and whatever is also best for supplying that to my viewer while also maintaining over 100fps. and like i said if a 1080 tn panel at 240hz for less eye movement is better for competitive over a 1440 ips 144 i would much rather that. and remember im trying to do this for as cheap as possible! lol