Need help finding XFX r9 380dd equivalent

Chupacabra69

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Current graphics card:
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r9-300-series/amd-radeon-r9-380-2gb-double-dissipation-r9-380p-f22m

I have been having trouble with this card and spent last several weekends troubleshooting and I'm about to tear my hair out. My hail mary is going to try to RMA it. But in the event the RMA is not accepted or takes forever I would like to spec out a replacement, but my knowledge of card specs is very low.

Can any helpful folks please let me know what models of either Nvidia and Radeon cards (I'm not a fanboy, I will go with whichever is best bang for the buck) would be equivalent and have at least as much processing power as this one has?

Am not looking for a weaker card, that would be a downgrade.

I run Win 10 Pro x64, do 3d MMO gaming, esports, business apps, and media center on this PC. It's hooked up to my 4k TV for gaming and media center.

Thanks

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I'm assuming you're not actually trying to play games in 4K resolution?...

Well, an R9 380 is an older card now. If you want to replace it with something from a similar time frame, the GTX 970(which you can get used now for under $200) is a better card. Otherwise if you want something up-to-date, I'd recommend either going with a GTX 1060 6GB or if you prefer AMD, an RX 570(or 580) 8GB. Although you could also pick up a used RX 480(previous gen) for around $200 used as well.

A little out of date but still handy for you:

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gpu-hierarchy,review-33383.html

Absent from that list are the AMD RX 570 which is in the same bracket at your R9 380 and the and RX 580 which sits a little below the R9 Nano/Fury.
Sitting between them is the GTX1060 from Nvidia, most will prefer that over the AMD cards due to its lower power consumption and lower heat output.

Prices are still all over the place ATM, cryptocurrency miners have been buying huge numbers of graphics cards over the last 8 months or so, pushing prices to stupid levels, but they are coming down so watch what you pay and shop around.

Nvidia side anything equal or higher than 1060 3gb will be an upgrade.
AMD side r9 290/r9 390/rx470/480/470/580/vega

i upgraded from r9 380 to rx 580 with identical system, 1080p (AA/PP/TEXTURE ultrai get about 60-70 fps in pubg (same setting to 100-120), so it's about 40% increase.

tried my frd 1050 ti, more like is a side grade.

Chupacabra69

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Hi all, no I'm not running games at 4k. The TV is usually in 3820x2160 resolution (native although it does higher reso) but I run my games Windowed.

I did a quick cursory search of the TI 1060 6gb's on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=GTX%201060%206GB&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=96
But found price variances. What is the reason for cards at so many different prices? The $299 evga seem to have rave reviews but there are other cards for more. I can check out reviews and comparisons when I dial some ideas in.
Also is there a couple brands these days that do really well on support and RMA's? Don't think I'll be buying a XFX again.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I use it just for the hierarchy portion - the prices fluctuate so much in the current environment that I ignore them on the hierarchy chart.