Unresponsive Desktop when booting up

Xelvania

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2014
As the title suggests, this problem started occurring just yesterday when I booted up my PC for the first time for the day. I noticed that it was taking a very long time to boot up, which is very abnormal for my PC (will list specs down below). Then, after some odd minutes went by, it finally booted into my desktop...to only get an unresponsive desktop. Here's a picture I took with my phone:

https://imgur.com/a/4Mt0dCA

Notice how nothing has loaded up on my desktop, none of my start up programs like my anti virus, nothing. I can't even move my mouse cursor out of the task bar into the middle of my screen.

So, I did what any other common sense individual would do and I restarted my PC. Voila, it booted up nice, fast, and instantaneously as expected from a Samsung SSD. Everything was working fine for the rest of the day, until I decided to shut down my PC for the night before going to bed. It took, no lie, about 1-2 minutes to shut down (more like a minute) when my PC typically shuts down instantly. My monitors went black like they usually do when shutting a PC down, but the PC itself was still running for a long time. Then after waiting for a little bit, it finally shut down. So, I went to bed, got up this morning, booted it up for the day, and lo' and behold. It did it again. It took forever to boot up, and gave me the unresponsive desktop once again. I restarted it like I did yesterday, and now it's working fine...again. If anyone is out there that is familiar with an issue like this, I would be extremely grateful if you could help me resolve this problem. It may not seem like anything serious now, but I don't want it to develop into something even bigger down the line if I just let it keep doing what it's doing.

Here are my specs:

Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB
EVGA Geforce GTX 780Ti 3GB
Intel core i7-5820k (standard clock speed)
Corsair Graphite Series 760T Full Tower Windowed Case - White
Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum certified
Corsair H100i v2 Liquid CPU Cooler
ASUS TUF Sabertooth X99 LGA2011 Motherboard
Windows 10 Operating System

I didn't know where to post this problem, so I thought the Operating System category was my best bet...

Solution
occasionally my windows opens the browser on the microsoft help page also... likely as a result of a bad shut down... cant say ive found a reason for it but yeah it has happend 3-4 times in the last 6 months for me also... never happened before that though...

chances are when you shut down the first time after you used selective startup the problem self fixed as it would give windows the chance to skip any errors and rewrite the config files at shutdown...
then when you restarted it was able to load fresh configs and repaired the error that caused the slow boot.

use msconfig again this time enable each item you disabled and reboot... it may help you pinpoint the root cause of the problem if you suddenly get a slow boot after you...
im assuming it eventually fully booted?
if so then check your startup entrys against the event log.
what ever has become unresponcive should have created an error report so it should be in the log.
(control panel/admin tools/event viewer)

if you cant figure out what is the issue...

you can choose what boots via msconfig (type it into the run bar and hit enter/return)
pick selective startup
and uncheck load startup items. and apply then restart
this will confirm if its a startup application thats the issue

if the error persists its a windows issue.
if its gone then check the load startup items again and apply it.
then click the startup tab which will give a link to the startup items panel in taskamanger.
uncheck any none essential items in the list
none essential means anything that isnt your antivirus, keyboard/mouse/audio drivers/gfx panel.
apply and restart.

Xelvania

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2014

It eventually booted only after I restarted my PC, I wrote everything that happened in this post. Today is the second time I've had to restart the PC in order for everything to load up properly.

I don't know what I'm looking for in the Event Viewer. The log summary is filled with a bunch of random logs, and none of them show any errors. The Summary of Administrative Events however has things like Critical, Error, Warning, Information & Audit Success. Under Error, I had 1 application error, 1 eventlog error, 1 service control manager error and 5 DistributedCOM errors. These all happened within the last 24 hours. What does this mean...?

Xelvania

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2014

Ugh, now it doesn't even matter whether or not Load Startup items is checked or not. I'm shutting down the PC with it unchecked and checked and I can't seem to replicate the problem now. I highly doubt I fixed anything, now it doesn't want to work with me anymore. Is there any chance this problem only occurs after the computer has been shut down for a long time....? Those are the only times it's happened so far. When it's been shut off for a good 9 or so hours.

Edit: Also, this last time I booted up the computer, it decided to load up my browser with this page randomly... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows?os=windows-10

occasionally my windows opens the browser on the microsoft help page also... likely as a result of a bad shut down... cant say ive found a reason for it but yeah it has happend 3-4 times in the last 6 months for me also... never happened before that though...

chances are when you shut down the first time after you used selective startup the problem self fixed as it would give windows the chance to skip any errors and rewrite the config files at shutdown...
then when you restarted it was able to load fresh configs and repaired the error that caused the slow boot.

use msconfig again this time enable each item you disabled and reboot... it may help you pinpoint the root cause of the problem if you suddenly get a slow boot after you re-enable a previously disabled item.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS